Page 1 of 1

Blue lights?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:39 pm
by Sir Max
I use just general house lightbulbs to provide heat for my res and i picked up some coloured lights for fun at the store today and my normal lightbulb burnt out 10 minutes ago and im curious to if i could use these lights? they just give off blue light..

Re: Blue lights?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:42 pm
by Kurtni
They sell blue "moonlight" bulbs at pet stores allegedly meant to entice nocturnal reptiles to bask, but RES are diurnal so they probably won't know what to do with that. If it's all you have on hand, you might want to measure the temperature of their basking area to see if it even gets hot enough with a light like that.

Re: Blue lights?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:29 am
by steve
I don't know if anyone's tried them, though I think Zoo Med sells them... are those the same? Normally UV blacklights and regular CFLs are a no but incandescent, halogens are red lights are OK.