Page 1 of 3

ILLEGAL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:33 pm
by Miss Tee
Wiseguys on the street in my neighborhood are selling baby (1") turtles for 5 bucks.
In little plastic containers with brightly colored lids. and little plastic fake palm trees. and multi-colored gravel.1/2" of water.
I'm so mad I could spit, and so heartbroken i could cry. :cry:

Re: ILLEGAL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:52 pm
by VeipaCray
Could you report them?

Re: ILLEGAL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:33 am
by Miss Tee
Naah...cops in Philly are dealing with murder, gang activity, domestic violence, child abuse....
they'd laugh me off the phone if I even tried...besides, these guys OWN the cops.

Re: ILLEGAL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:38 am
by sflemin2
Ugg :(. No one cares about animals here either. We called the humane society on 2 or 3 dogs that ended up dying from heat exhaustion and dehydration. Same owner...they would get a puppy and love it until it wasnt tiny anymore then tie it to a tree out side til it died then got a new one. There has been a lot of horse neglect too. They just never even show up to check it out.

Re: ILLEGAL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:16 am
by Love of Animals
Miss Tee - You would call environment protection. But that wouldn't do any good. They wouldn't be there if they showed up. So sad for the little guys.
sflemin - Same in the Bronx, which is why I started doing dog rescue years ago. The problem is people expect the dogs to train themselves. I would take them in, train them then rehome them. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to do that anymore. My new landlord is amazed at how well my dogs are trained (Both rescues). They listen better than my kids and husband.

Re: ILLEGAL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:19 am
by VeipaCray
+1 Love of Animals.

WIldlife or environmental protection is the correct place to call.

We've taken in 1 deaf Boston Terrier and 1 abandoned Boston. They're now part of our growing family / zoo.

Re: ILLEGAL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:18 am
by sflemin2
Yeah I know what you mean :(. We have this awesome new no kill shelter that just opened up. They are really struggling with money. The kennels are outside because thats all they can afford but I hear they extremely clean and quite roomy.

As far as the turtles go.. there is absolutely no one for them because people dont take them seriously. I have a girl on facebook that has a turtle thats 2-3 inches that just upgraded to a 10 gallon yesterday :(. I gave her the speech when she first got the turtle but she ignored me (we arent close..she was the popular type in high school). Gravel in the tank and one of those cheaper whisper filters from walmart. No lights. Sigh. Its a never ending battle

Re: ILLEGAL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:39 pm
by steve
The police around the NY Chinatowns don't do much enforcement either. They used too a few years ago, but now the sellers do it openly. Fortunately there's not as many, but it's still heartbreaking.

Re: ILLEGAL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:53 pm
by sflemin2
At least it has stopped at places like Myrtle Beach. They sell little lizards now :/

Re: ILLEGAL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:32 pm
by Miss Tee
Miss Tee originally came from a street-seller...$1 :-(

Re: ILLEGAL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:25 am
by rsour24
sflemin2 wrote:At least it has stopped at places like Myrtle Beach. They sell little lizards now :/


i got my turtle not quite two years ago at myrtle beach. hence the name Myrtle. and when i went back the next year they were still selling them. it hasnt stopped in myrtle beach

Re: ILLEGAL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:38 am
by sflemin2
Ug really? I am going Monday and I will see. I looked everywhere to see if they were still selling them in 2008 and didnt find a single one. Didnt see any at St. Augustine either. Thats so upsetting :(

Re: ILLEGAL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:48 am
by rsour24
i think a store called "eagles" might still be selling them

Re: ILLEGAL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:01 am
by Love of Animals
If we could only get everyone to read this web site before they buy. Many wouldn't buy but some selfish people would and take care of them their way instead of the proper way.
sflemin - It would be funny if you stood next to the vendor or outside the store with a large sign saying what turtles really need when you go. What are they going to do call the police. They're the ones doing something illegal. But who wants to do that on their vacation.

Re: ILLEGAL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:36 am
by sflemin2
Its not like it would help. I cant even get people who already have turtles to listen. They think "look at this big 10 gallon tank I got her! She even as a rock to sit on!" ..urrggg. I am really hoping I dont see any turtles this year