Page 1 of 1
tips on dry docking or ways to get my turtle to bask

Posted:
Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:56 am
by swegin
Hello all
I have to turtles, one loves to bask and the other does not. Seymore ( the one that does not likes to bask) loves to stay underwater, if I did not any better I would think he was a fish. He is in the middle of shedding his chutes so I am concerned that he is going to retain them from lack of dry time, how can I get him to bask more?
In the past I have tried dry docking both but the freak out. They always try to climb the side of the container which results in them falling on their back... Any tips?
Re: tips on dry docking or ways to get my turtle to bask

Posted:
Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:18 pm
by opiter
Hey,
I'm new to this too but some things that have helped for me is using a towel in the dry dock area. This gives them some place to hide when they get freaked out. Next time try placing the turtle in the container and lightly covering it with the towel with an opening that they can see and come out of when they choose. Another thing try letting them get some sun outside as well. Just make sure that there isn't anything aroud that they could get hurt from, including other animals. Just place it in a suny patch of grass and walk away slowly. Their curiosity will build and will start to explore. Plus the sun is great for them, either way will hep with the scute shedding so long as they dry off before getting back in the water.
As for the tank issue obviously make sure that the basking area is big enough if they choose to bask together. Also you really never know if he basks while you are gone. Some turltes are just shy like that. I try to get as much interaction with mine as I can and I have noticed her getting up on her platform more frequently when I am home and even when the kids are around the tank. I have mine in the living room so its always surrounded with attention. Hope this helps good luck!
Re: tips on dry docking or ways to get my turtle to bask

Posted:
Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:37 am
by sflemin2
What is the temp of your water and basking area?
Most turtles are shy baskers and won't bask if people are in the room. As far as dry docking, I just let mine loose in a turtle proof room!
Re: tips on dry docking or ways to get my turtle to bask

Posted:
Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:36 pm
by steve
Maybe it's time for a larger basking area?
Re: tips on dry docking or ways to get my turtle to bask

Posted:
Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:37 am
by swegin
I am not totally sure what the temp of my basking area is. It seems to be around 90 since it is directly under the heat lamp and the UVB lamp, I am a little concerned with the size since my guys are getting bigger. Is there a size to dry dock ratio formula or a general rule of thumb that I can go by for the doc area? Right now I have a large zoomed floating dock and a large piece a cork (about 8"x11) in the tank. Any thoughts?
Re: tips on dry docking or ways to get my turtle to bask

Posted:
Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:22 am
by steve
The basking area should be large enough so it allows all turtles to dry off their plastrons. An even larger area is beneficial because your RES can move around (closer or further away from the heat) for thermoregulation.
Re: tips on dry docking or ways to get my turtle to bask

Posted:
Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:44 am
by SquidSox
I have a cumberland slider who I was worried about the same thing but the thing is your turtle probably basks when you are not around ifhe is showing signs of proper shedding already then he IS basking plenty you just never see it. You may not need to dr dock him. How often it the heat lamp on? Is it providing proper uv rays aswell?
Als u an make. Basking area out of a lot if things it all depends on the size of your tank and what you have access to also u can usualy find quite large ones online better then in a petstore