Page 1 of 1

Adopting an older pair.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:24 am
by Matryoshka
My friend has lost interest in her long-owned family pet. Their dog has been laying the evil eye on them too, and they are currently in a plastic kritter keeper each, big enough for them to turn around in only. They are about 7" long I guess, and are about ten years old.
I will be adopting them maybe end of October or early November, after our examinations. I want to use this time to , apart from revising, learn more about how to make them feel safe at home.
I am unsure of their gender, and I have not been in contact with them before, and my friend never let the two of them meet for safety reasons (her dog). I have tapped the outsides of the tank before just to make them look at me, but they didn't snap at the tank walls where I tapped, so I assume they aren't vicious or anything.
Any tips on how to make them feel at home and safe? (: I intend to feed them guppies for the first few days as I assume they've never tasted fish meat, for my friend cringed at the thought of me feeding mine a weekly treat of guppies.
Speaking of mine, they seem to like goldfish food. By accident, I dropped a few goldfish pellets into their tank and they begged for more (Typical...). xD

Re: Adopting an older pair.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:07 pm
by steve
Just give the time to let them adjust. Don't interact with them too much unless its to check on their health and to feed them. You don't need to feed them guppies weekly, most pellets are good enough with a balanced diet.

Re: Adopting an older pair.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:15 am
by Matryoshka
Thanks steve, should I use the pellets my friend has been feeding them or change it to the ones mine are eating?
And how much should I feed them?

Re: Adopting an older pair.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:31 am
by steve
Do you know what brand they are and where he got them? It's almost always better to buy a fresh container.