Page 1 of 1

Shell Issues

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:13 am
by squirt!
See pictures below:
1. Squirt has algae between his scutes- I've been trying to scrub it with a toothbrush but it can only do so much...
2. There are these 'spot' things that are only shiny in water. I initially thought they were retained scutes but it's been so long since he's last shed that it's making me think that maybe the basking area isn't elevated enough. Is it fungus? MBD?
3. What's your diagnosis and what can we do to improve the shell condition? We're financially cautious right now, so the less expensive the more realistic...
Man I just feel really bad right now. We are doing the best we can for Squirt but I feel like it is never enough :(
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Re: Shell Issues

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:19 am
by squirt!
sorry forgot to add the pics:

Re: Shell Issues

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:20 am
by squirt!
.

Re: Shell Issues

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:21 am
by squirt!
.

Re: Shell Issues

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:21 am
by squirt!
.

Re: Shell Issues

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:22 am
by squirt!
I have bigger versions of the pictures but the site only allows 256 kb and below, so let me know if higher resolution shots are required for diagnosis.

Re: Shell Issues

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:44 am
by Diamondbacks4Life
Your turtle does have retained scutes like you orginally thought. The shiny look is just air caught inbetween the scutes. Feed him some blueberries and give him plenty of uvb basking time. If you can take him outside that would be great but might be to cold depending where you live. Thats the best you can do really for his scutes.

Re: Shell Issues

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:19 am
by squirt!
thanks!

Re: Shell Issues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:47 am
by steve
You can send the pics to me and I'll upload them for you. There are no size limits to external images if you want to use photobucket or imgur.

Next time you give him a shell cleaning, take extra care to examine the seams between his scutes, to make sure they are hard and solid.