Page 1 of 1

Spots on shell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:53 am
by atomicunicorn
I know you guys probably get a lot of these threads asking about white spots and whatnot, but I didn't find reliable answers from searching through older posts.

I've noticed when I take my RES out of his tank and let him dry off completely I see this white spot. I'm afraid to scratch it or anything, so I'm not sure what it is. I know I have hard water, but I use a water conditioner, does that take out the hardness?
Image

I also see this hole looking spot in his shell also. I don't want to poke around at it, but it just looks like a little hole, or maybe a scratch or something. He needs a shed, so maybe it's just on the older scute.
Image

Also, the very edges of his shell (the yellowish tips) are very translucent, is that normal?

Re: Spots on shell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:38 pm
by steve
The main thing I notice is retained scutes. The jagged marginals is a clear example of it. When shedding occurs irregularly, they might break apart instead of shedding a smooth, complete piece. That might explain the pit you see, I can't be certain because of the image clarity.

Re: Spots on shell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:40 am
by atomicunicorn
So the white spot isnt fungus or anything?

I've tried feeding him blueberries but he won't eat very much of it, and I got some koi pellets but they're tiny and I'm not sure if I'm giving him enough to make any difference. Do you have any advice to get him to shed?

Re: Spots on shell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:20 pm
by steve
I don't see any fungus, it might just be irregular shedding at this point. Bacteria has a habit of breaching the shell, so I wouldn't rule that out either.