Page 1 of 1

New to forum, not to RES... Question about fish w/res

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:10 pm
by DoraAnderson
I'll start with my question, then continue..
I'm setting up a HUGE viquarium for my 4 month old little RES. I'm wondering if I can put Cichlids with her? If not, what fish would work well without being eaten?

I found my little Audrey in the middle of the road back in March, and she was only maybe one inch across. I don't know HOW I saw her or even knew she was a turtle and not a rock or a pine cone or something, but I do know that it was fate! I love her so much, and she's so funny to watch!

I grew up with 3 RES, and we had them about 15 years before turning them over to the Armond Bayou society in Houston for release into the wild. We got them for $.25 at the pet store, where there were a hundred of them in a blue plastic swimming pool, with the exception of one that my brother found in a parking lot.

Thanks for the web site and the connection to other turtle parents!

Re: New to forum, not to RES... Question about fish w/res

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:22 pm
by slider_keeper
I have very good success with chinese algae eaters. Anything else will eventually become a meal. The chinese algae eaters are super fast and can run from a chasing turtle. With this all said, I have been able to keep minnows and a growing population of guppies in my tank. But I credit this to the driftwood log that has a hollow side that the fish can run for safety to hide. But even so, every once in awhile my turtle will get one that isn't paying attention. So even with the best hiding spot there is no guarantee fish will make it. Welcome to the site, glad to have you here.