Page 1 of 1
will 2 sliders eventually fight

Posted:
Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:22 pm
by atjurhs
Hi guys,
I have two yellow bellied sliders that are about 4 months old (I think). I don't know if they are male or female. They currently share a 10gallon tank
I would like to know if they will eventually fight or not? I'm guessing as they grow at sometime I will need to get a larger tank or a second tank, if they are going to fight then I'd want to get two tanks instead of just a larger one.
Thanks!
Re: will 2 sliders eventually fight

Posted:
Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:30 pm
by michaelg
There's no way to say for sure. I have read posts by members on this board that talked about having two turtles together for years before showing any sign of fighting. My experience has been different. We have 2 hatchling RES that started acting aggressive towards each other less then 4 months after we got them. They were about 7 months old at the time.
A male and a female may get along just fine, but they may not. Two males will most likely fight. Two females are your best chance at getting along, but you never know. Only time will tell.
-Michael
Re: will 2 sliders eventually fight

Posted:
Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:19 pm
by atjurhs
Thanks Michael!
I guess two separate tanks will be best? Will a 10gallon tank be large enough for a mature size slider?
Re: will 2 sliders eventually fight

Posted:
Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:24 pm
by Diamondbacks4Life
atjurhs wrote:Thanks Michael!
I guess two separate tanks will be best? Will a 10gallon tank be large enough for a mature size slider?
Like Michael said its all chance with fighting and aggree with him on the other stuff too.
A 10 gallon tank will not even be close to good for a mature slider. Your looking at at least a 75 gallon tank for just one. Sliders get very large. A large female can grow to where in a 10 gallon it could not even turn around.
Re: will 2 sliders eventually fight

Posted:
Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:15 am
by Listen97
I have two females that have lived together for years. For the most part they don't fight. The most aggression I've seen toward each other is the more dominant one will nip at her sisters rear leg. There have been no injuries or blood so I take it as a dominance thing and just letting each other know who's boss.
Re: will 2 sliders eventually fight

Posted:
Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:35 am
by CactusJohn5
i have 2 identical female RES they get along 90% of the time, but if i feed them together they get SUPER food aggression! So i have to feed them seperatly: besides that i rarly see them doing anything agrressive.
Re: will 2 sliders eventually fight

Posted:
Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:23 pm
by throwaway99
I dont know if this will help but.... me and my sister each have a RES, when we first got them they shared a 5 gallon tank. These guys were really small one of my friends parents gave them to us right after they hatched. But today I figured they can hang out in the same tank for a little bit. They looked so happy to be around each other again like old times (granted they only been apart for about 2 weeks). My little dude Tigger deiced to bit the other ones leg a few times.