Page 1 of 1
Fungal infection?

Posted:
Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:24 pm
by baba
Hello, I noticed a brown spot on my turtle's plastron just below his neck. I've attached an image. It's not the best shot but I circled the spot I'm referring to. Fungal infection? If so, how to treat?
Also, I've noticed that he doesn't really bask. He just swims. Should he be removed from the tank to dry occasionally?
Thanks.
Re: Fungal infection?

Posted:
Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:10 pm
by Gurgi's Mom
I think it is more important to find out why he isn't basking than to take him out to dry. What temp is his basking area? What temp is the water?
I'll leave the shell questions to others.

I am still learning.
Re: Fungal infection?

Posted:
Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:03 am
by steve
Could it be an injury? Can you take a picture of that area when it's dry?
Re: Fungal infection?

Posted:
Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:38 am
by baba
So, I got home last night and he launched himself off his rock and back into the water. First time I've seen him out of the water. Water chemistry looked fine so maybe he just started coming out or maybe I just haven't been around when he's out. I'll be setting up a camera shortly to see how much he comes out.
I'll try to get a picture of that area dry.
Re: Fungal infection?

Posted:
Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:02 pm
by steve
There's another red spot:
Re: Fungal infection?

Posted:
Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:35 pm
by baba
I checked the temp on the basking doc and it wasn't much different than the water temp (both about 80). I lowered the water temp a couple degrees (76-78) and lowered the light (100 watt MVB). The dock is a good 10 degrees warmer than the water now and he's a basking machine.
Are there typical distances to hang MVBulbs from the dock since they're also UVA and UVB or should I just set the distance by the temp?
Re: Fungal infection?

Posted:
Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:17 am
by steve
There will be minimal distances for MVB, and those details will be specific to the bulb you use. There should be instructions a long with it.