Page 1 of 1

cotton-like threads from my RES's mouth?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:48 am
by Callipepla
For some reason, when I go to feed my and he tries to take a bite of his turtle stick, what looks like little white threads come out of his mouth? It almost resembles cotton. Has this happened to anyone else?

Re: cotton-like threads from my RES's mouth?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:51 am
by The Troops
Thew tabbies you got.. they are cats, right?

If so, I noticed my one cat hanging around the tank lately and I have been getting cat hair in water. Might be from that, but also keep an eye out for "mouth rot". My parents Green Iguana from when I was a kid ended up with that. Started out as a fuzzy white patch and went from there. Curable, just not a good thing.

Re: cotton-like threads from my RES's mouth?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:12 pm
by Callipepla
Yes, they are cats, but neither of them can get up to the tank, and they dont really have any interest in him. Its specifically when he opens his mouth to grab a pellet, and the threads come out. Thanks for the heads up on mouth rot, Ill look into it :)

Re: cotton-like threads from my RES's mouth?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:15 pm
by steve
It's probably one of two things... dried mucus if he's been basking right before he eats or it's some skin shedding around his neck.

Re: cotton-like threads from my RES's mouth?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:53 pm
by Callipepla
I feed him in the morning, so he wouldnt have been able to bask before I fed him. I guess the dried skin is the most likely culprit, it just looks like its coming right out of his mouth. I got worried it was a weird type of vomit

Re: cotton-like threads from my RES's mouth?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:20 pm
by steve
Has there been any other symptoms?