Page 1 of 1

Basking too long and clawing floor?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:07 pm
by narcolepticbeesh
hello! my turtle, Turtle, has been basking a lot lately. I leave for work in the morning at roughly 5:30am and he's already in the dock. I come home from work at roughly 5pm, and he's still basking. If I dont scare him, he seems to stay docked for the rest of the evening as well.

In addition to him basking a lot, he's clawing around his dock. I have this dock
Image
There isnt any dirt, rocks, or pebbles in the dock so he's just clawing the plastic floor.

He's in a 55 gallon tank. The water temp is roughly 75 degrees. And he's at least 14 years old.

Is there anything to be worried about?

Thank you in advanced!

Re: Basking too long and clawing floor?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:21 am
by mukyo
did he forget how he got up there?
how did he usually get back down?
Did you switch off the light after 5PM?
12Hrs is quite long already. all my turts usually back to water after lights off.
i use cheap mechanical timer so never bother to worry.

Re: Basking too long and clawing floor?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:31 am
by steve
What's the basking temp? How long have you been using this dock?

Re: Basking too long and clawing floor?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:38 pm
by Tokapeli
are you sure he is a he? thats what kaya does when shes gravid

Re: Basking too long and clawing floor?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:35 pm
by narcolepticbeesh
I'm using a timer for the light as well. If I remember correctly, it's from 10am to 730pm. I'm not entirely sure about the basking temp, but it's a 55watt light bulb. Turtle has been enjoying the dock for about 3 years already.

I'm pretty sure Turtle is a he. There's so many oddities, the front claws arent long, the cloaca is further back, Turtle isnt very large for 14 year old...I just cant tell

But I got back from work today, and Turtles back in the water...