Page 1 of 1

We bought a new RES baby!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:56 pm
by JimmyLo
Yesterday, we took the leap and bought a new RES baby. We haven't had an RES this little before. The last time we bought something this young, she ended up with a Respiratory Infection and died.

BUT, this little guy is showing no signs of illness (although we are keeping a close eye on him). We have two juvenile/young adult RES's (one we bought as a juvi, and one as a rescue young adult).

Anyway, the point of my post is

a) to introduce Blake, and
b) spark a discussion about our tank set-up, and hopefully get some questions answered.


Some questions we already have is:

1. This little guy is smaller than a quarter, we're doing our best not to spook him or freak him out. We feed our turtles outside the tank to have a cleaner, healthier tank for them. Should I start this right away, or should I ease him into it?

2. Last night he was sleeping on his vine outside the water - I've never seen a turtle do this, is this ok?

3. What is the normal amount for a baby RES to sleep? Is it like human infants? He does sleep a lot, but when he's awake he's alert and active.


Welcome Blake!
Image

Re: We bought a new RES baby!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:23 am
by steve
Cute fella.

For your questions...
1. I'd feed him in tank right now. You can usually tell right away if he's willing to eat outside, so shift accordingly.
2. It happens though I'd keep a close eye on his behavior. Many hatchlings prefer shallow water.
3. I would expect him to be awake when there's light for him.

Is he in a different tank?

Re: We bought a new RES baby!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:51 am
by Mart396
Hello JimmyLo, I would feed him in tank by now. I got a hatchling a week ago too, and he scares easy, I'd not handle him. My hatchling sleeps at night and sometimes sleeps when basking. What water temp do you have on water? I got 80 F on mine.
And 90 F for basking, mine is doing well so far and eating Mazuri pellet everyday. Also Oogway (my hathcling) sleeps underwater, but with the nose outside for breathing.

Regards.

Re: We bought a new RES baby!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:33 pm
by apondfortimmy
OMG he is so tiny.
Brain quit working because of the tiny and cute. Can't think of anything else to say but squeaks and awwwws.

Re: We bought a new RES baby!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:43 pm
by Winters_wonderland
how can you tell if he is sleeping?

Re: We bought a new RES baby!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:37 pm
by kamekichi
JimmyLo I am glad you got a new RES! Little Blake is cute! I wish you the best of luck with him!

Re: We bought a new RES baby!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:23 pm
by slider_keeper
I agree with the others feed him in his tank and slowly try to see if he will eat out of his tank. Once you get him eating his appetite will pick up gradually till he, like the others, wants to eat all the time. I remember when my guy was that small, too cool! Congrates on the addition, I'm sure he or she (I should be saying) will do just fine;)

Re: We bought a new RES baby!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:20 pm
by ataraxiamb
So teeny tiny! Congrats on the new addition!