Page 1 of 1
Early male features (at approx 3")

Posted:
Fri May 03, 2013 11:53 am
by ataraxiamb
Is it possible for a turtle about 3" to start showing male characteristics? My turtle is 3", and I'm starting to notice proportionally longer nails and a bigger tail as he grows. I know it's too early to sex him for sure, but for those of you with male turtles, did they start showing signs like this around this size?


Re: Early male features (at approx 3")

Posted:
Fri May 03, 2013 2:06 pm
by steve
Yup, you have a boy

Males are usually the ones you notice first because of their drastic changes.
Re: Early male features (at approx 3")

Posted:
Fri May 03, 2013 3:39 pm
by ataraxiamb
Yay!
I was hoping he'd get to keep his name. Plus, no eggs and a less massive tank.
Re: Early male features (at approx 3")

Posted:
Fri May 03, 2013 7:52 pm
by slider_keeper
Yeah, my male showed signs at about 3".
Re: Early male features (at approx 3")

Posted:
Fri May 03, 2013 10:51 pm
by ljapa
And when I asked a similar question a few months ago, I was told you can usually tell with males between 3 and 3.5". Since my son's is nearing 3.5" without the slightest hint, I'm guessing I have a female. Time to start watching Craigslist for large tanks at great prices!
Re: Early male features (at approx 3")

Posted:
Fri May 03, 2013 11:05 pm
by ataraxiamb
Will you have to change the name? At least you won't be exposed to gigantic turtle penis...
Re: Early male features (at approx 3")

Posted:
Sat May 04, 2013 6:04 am
by Diamondbacks4Life
Turtles start showing sex differences at around 2 inches but the differences are so slight you really have to know what to look for. Ive gotten really good at it so far for turtles at 2inches ive guessed the last 8 right.
Re: Early male features (at approx 3")

Posted:
Sat May 04, 2013 1:40 pm
by ataraxiamb
Wow! I started seeing these changes at 2.75", and then when we got to 3", it was becoming fairly obvious. He's a completely different turtle than he was at 2.5". Kudos to you for being able to tell SO early! What's the giveaway at 2"?
Re: Early male features (at approx 3")

Posted:
Sat May 04, 2013 4:44 pm
by slider_keeper
I was starting to suspect Toku was male at around 2 in. I was asking this forum for opinions but everyone said the same thing, too early to tell, lol. I have had two females before Toku and I guess after seeing females the whole time when seeing the slow growth and the tail looking slightly different, plus the nails looking longer, ever so slightly. I'd say have a few turtles then you can compare and see the differences better.
Re: Early male features (at approx 3")

Posted:
Sat May 04, 2013 6:01 pm
by ataraxiamb
How big and how old is Toku now? He's a really striking turtle. Very colorful and photogenic.
Re: Early male features (at approx 3")

Posted:
Sat May 04, 2013 6:19 pm
by slider_keeper
Toku is 3 1/2 yrs old and just over 5 in. He kinda hit a growth spur from 4 to 5 in. But his growth has seemed to slow to almost a halt. I have said this early in his life, I suspected he would remain rather small. Maybe around the 6 to 7 in. range. And thank you, his colors are becoming very nice! I really need a good camera to show you all the redness in the plastron and the patterns that are becoming more pronounced on his carapace and plastron:)
Re: Early male features (at approx 3")

Posted:
Mon May 06, 2013 3:51 pm
by Diamondbacks4Life
ataraxiamb wrote:Wow! I started seeing these changes at 2.75", and then when we got to 3", it was becoming fairly obvious. He's a completely different turtle than he was at 2.5". Kudos to you for being able to tell SO early! What's the giveaway at 2"?
I just go by location of the tail. By comparing hatchlings at 2inches male tail have started to extend ever so slightly.
Re: Early male features (at approx 3")

Posted:
Mon May 06, 2013 3:56 pm
by slider_keeper
I agree DB4L, having males and females to compare really helps!