Page 1 of 1

UVB light

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:11 pm
by tink94
I got my turtles a new UVB light, but after researching it, I don't think it's the right one. I have two turtles in a 90 gallon - my UVB light is an exo-terra reptile 100UVB..thoughts?

Re: UVB light

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:46 pm
by ljapa
If it's

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/reptile_uvb100.php

You can be fine if its just providing basking for one. They've apparently rebranded. It used to be the ReptiGlo 5, which is in the middle for their UVB cfl bulbs. It was the first UVB bulb I used for my son's turtle.

What size are your turtles? You probably can't provide enough UVB if you keep it far enough away to cover two turtles.

Re: UVB light

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:44 pm
by tink94
My turtles are about 4-ish inches each. Its only a couple inches from their basking spot. It is what`s on the picture

Re: UVB light

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:06 pm
by ljapa
By a couple of inches, do you mean 2 - 3 or 10 -12?

If the first, it may be too close. If you look at their charts and read the other stuff, they recommend no closer than 12" for a RES. personally, as I've researched UVB, I think that may be a bare minimum and you could, possibly should, go closer. But at 6" or less, the UVB may be too strong.

Re: UVB light

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:11 am
by tink94
I think around 10 inches, so I should be fine :)