Page 1 of 1
water surface oil-like slick or film

Posted:
Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:38 pm
by tjurhs
Hi guys,
I'm totally baffled as to what it is and what to do about it???
On the water's surface of my 20gal long tank there is a very thin oil-like slick or film. Every other day or so I lay a paper towel on top of the water surface and that takes away the oil-like spots film.
The whole tank was put together about 2 or 3 weeks ago, and it has a brand new MarineLand C220 filter rated for 55gallon tanks.
all of the water's chemistry test are good with pH 7.7 Amonia 0.5 Nitrite 0.05 Nitrate 5
I can't possibly think of what could be producing it, but I'd sure like to stop it.
any ideas?
Re: water surface oil-like slick or film

Posted:
Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:29 am
by Linus
It happens on my tank as well. Get an aerator. It'll clear it right up.
Re: water surface oil-like slick or film

Posted:
Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:23 am
by devilduck
Common problem in a lot of tanks. It's bio matter from either food or waste, try raising the output of the filter so it moves the water surface.
Re: water surface oil-like slick or film

Posted:
Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:28 am
by tjurhs
{ aaah, this post happened immeadiately after the duck's post, so there is overlap in the posts and I think he answered my questions }
when I google "fish tank aerator" I get lots of info and different types. Given that there is no livestock in the tank (other than an occasional minnow awaiting his turn to join my RES at the dinner table) I don't really think I need water aeration. So is it just for the bubbles breaking the surface tension that you recommend an aerator?
I do know that if I point my cannister filter's output stream so that it ripples the water suface then the oily/film (or whatever it is) doesn't form. This is a ban-aid, and doesn't answer what it is? I don't want whatever it is to chemically harm my RES!!!
Re: water surface oil-like slick or film

Posted:
Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:32 am
by tjurhs
devilduck wrote:Common problem in a lot of tanks. It's bio matter from either food or waste, try raising the output of the filter so it moves the water surface.
So it's not harming Thor, correct?
Re: water surface oil-like slick or film

Posted:
Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:53 pm
by tjurhs
reporting back: I read on the "PlantedTank" form that the "slick" is a really protien film created by uneaten food, poop, etc...
it will not harm a RES.
the easiest way to make it go away is to have something consistently break the water surface tension, like point the water outlet from your filter to break or ripple the water surface. Apparently when you do that the film can't form. That's a band-aid that also leads to those protiens getting into the inlet water source of your filter.
Re: water surface oil-like slick or film

Posted:
Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:21 pm
by Linus
Exactly, get an aerator.
Re: water surface oil-like slick or film

Posted:
Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:55 am
by Kansasslider
A power head and or circulation pump can also be used.
Re: water surface oil-like slick or film

Posted:
Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:49 pm
by tjurhs
I just pointed the water outlet from my filter upwards to break/ripple the water surface. no more oil slicks

Re: water surface oil-like slick or film

Posted:
Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:55 pm
by Kansasslider
In my 300 I did both. Circulation pump and Fx pointed up. Never had a problem. Good to here you got it under control.Its a real common problem in turtle keeping.
Re: water surface oil-like slick or film

Posted:
Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:09 pm
by steve
Be careful with the outlet... my RES likes to attack it and nearly pointed the water flow out of the tank on multiple occasions.