Page 1 of 1

Shell rot or not?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:12 am
by ArtexFX
Ok, I have a 3 year old red slider that has white spots on his shell. That usually means shell rot except when I seen this I cleaned his habitat and found out that he shedded his shell. I heard from somewhere that when they shed there shell that sometimes some places get white. So is this shell rot or not? The second picture is of a piece that I think is still shedding, there is another piece like that one directly across from it.

Image





Image

Re: Shell rot or not?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:00 pm
by steve
White is often fungus, but could be some form of shell rot. What is she on? It looks like there is a lot of rust. She's also got some algae on the shell... I'd give a gentle scrub and let the shell dry for a bit. Then post a pic of the white areas.

Re: Shell rot or not?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:59 pm
by ArtexFX
Ok... I didn't even know it was a she, I thought because the claws were short it was a male... And the rust is just a pan I put her in, her tank is not dirty, but she has been shedding. A piece came off earlier today from her shell. I scrubbed the shell, and let it dry for twenty minutes and here is what I got.

Image

Image

The second is where you can see another piece of the shell pealing off.

Re: Shell rot or not?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:01 pm
by ArtexFX
If you drag the pictures to the search bar you can see them better.

Re: Shell rot or not?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:58 am
by steve
It does look like a bit of fungus, but I would first try cleaning the shell so it could be examined a bit better.

Re: Shell rot or not?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:33 pm
by ArtexFX
I tried to clean it off, but sense the shell is shedding, I keep catching where its shedding it I think it hurts her because it jumps and makes the breathing noise. So I am afraid to clean the shell.

Re: Shell rot or not?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:10 pm
by ljapa
Try a soft bristle toothbrush with just small circular motions.