Page 1 of 1

Seeking scholarly references regarding RES habitat condition

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:22 pm
by BPinWV
Hello,

I'm caring for an overpopulated turtle tank at a local college. Four mature Red Eared Sliders in 25 gallon tank. I'm trying to convince a few professors that these conditions are an embarrassment, and the turtles need to be relocated.

I've searched extensively and mostly what I have found on the internet is either too general or too technical and doesn't address the basics. I'm looking for something I can show these professors, something they will respect.

Preferably I'd like to have something written by a PHd, someone with some certification. A book, a journal article, or a web page written by a PHd.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
BPinWV

Re: Seeking scholarly references regarding RES habitat condi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:15 pm
by brain55
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 7&aid=2613

This is the best I could find in a few minutes of Google searching. There is a list of PhD's at the botom with further references.

Brian

Re: Seeking scholarly references regarding RES habitat condi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:41 pm
by steve
What's incredible is that nearly all sources out there, despite the variations, will give superior habitat recommendations.

Re: Seeking scholarly references regarding RES habitat condi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:36 pm
by BPinWV
Thank you Brian I'll check it out.

Re: Seeking scholarly references regarding RES habitat condi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:45 pm
by BPinWV
Yes Steve, I understand what you're saying. However there is a lot of snobbery in academia, and they look down their noses at some crack-pot babying something they just held a lab dissecting. They are hard to deal with, but I do have a repport with them, so we are working together kinda. I really need something by a herpetologist. But it's hard to find scholarly articles that address basic issues.

Re: Seeking scholarly references regarding RES habitat condi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:39 pm
by steve
I don't know of a precise example of what you're looking for. Many published papers/research are of a very specific and narrow idea. I think Brian's link is a great start, good luck!

Re: Seeking scholarly references regarding RES habitat condi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:06 pm
by VeipaCray

Re: Seeking scholarly references regarding RES habitat condi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:13 pm
by VeipaCray
Here's one from a zoological society with cited references.
http://www.glzszoo.org/forms/Red%20eare ... 20care.pdf

Most any zoo, vet or turtle keeping hobbiest will have the same care advice and habitat requirements.

Re: Seeking scholarly references regarding RES habitat condi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:15 pm
by VeipaCray
Here's a publication from Michigan State: http://cvm.msu.edu/hospital/services/nu ... pet-turtle

Re: Seeking scholarly references regarding RES habitat condi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:22 pm
by VeipaCray
Not a PhD but a well publshed and cited author:

http://www.anapsid.org/reslider.html

About the Author: Melissa Kaplan's work as a wildlife educator and rehabilitator led her to an interest in reptile care and rehabilitation. She co-founded the Reptile and Amphibian Rescue Network (Los Angeles, CA) and the North Bay Herpetological Society (Sonoma, CA). She has written extensively on reptile care for a variety of publications, and studied reptiles in the classroom for her Master's thesis. Her web site, anapsid.org includes her massive Herp Care Information Collection.

Re: Seeking scholarly references regarding RES habitat condi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:19 pm
by VeipaCray
From a vetranary site:

http://www.vcsmilford.com/Exotic-Pet-Ca ... lider.aspx

A guideline to determine this size used by many keepers, as a minimum, is 10 gallons of tank per each inch of shell length (refer to SCL for correct shell measurement). Therefore, a single adult RES will require anywhere between a 90 to a 120 gallon tank.

Re: Seeking scholarly references regarding RES habitat condi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:08 pm
by BPinWV
VeipaCray, thank you very much! I'll be studying your links closely, I really appreciate your help.

Re: Seeking scholarly references regarding RES habitat condi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:28 am
by BabyNemo
Probably shouldn't bump an old thread, but I had this same exact thing happen to me very close. My Physics teacher has two 4-5 inch turtles in a ten gallon tank. There has been no way to make him get them a better tank. I may end up just giving him my 55 gallon. Someone even poured milk into their "habitat" and he didn't care.
I know exactly what you're going through, op. It sucks.