Page 1 of 1
Stinky Tank

Posted:
Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:16 am
by josephkr
I've got a 50 gallon tank and a Fluval 405 filter. I've had the filter for about 2 years and loved it but recently my tank has been pretty stinky. It just smells like a turtle tank, but with my Fluval filter I've never had odor issues, but the last couple months it's gotten more and more stinky. I changed the carbon about two weeks ago, and change it every month. What's going on? Do I need to replace the foam pads in the filter?
Re: Stinky Tank

Posted:
Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:05 am
by Jeremiah
Like you mentioned, the foam pads may have just gotten old and clogged up with debris.if you haven't changed them for a while, go ahead and switch them out.
How often are you doing water changes, and how much per change? Any new food items that may make for bad smelling stools?
Re: Stinky Tank

Posted:
Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:49 am
by josephkr
I'm refilling the tank a little every week, but when I clean it I drain about 1/3 of the water.
Re: Stinky Tank

Posted:
Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:23 pm
by Jeremiah
What do your pads and bio media look like?
Re: Stinky Tank

Posted:
Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:51 am
by steve
Topping off the tank doesn't help too much. Go for a change and pad change. Pads are usually plastic foam and slowly break apart.