Page 1 of 1

A few gallons shy of adequate tank size.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:07 pm
by DanielRES1180
I finally found a possible 55 gallon tank - FOR FREE :D . I got it from the mother of the friend with the tortoise, pretty ironic right. But still, according to my calculations, the tank is still a tiny 10 gallons shy of "adequate" tank size. Is it okay if you're a little under what you could call proper tank size? I can't miss out on this offer, since the prices in the classified section of the local paper are gouged by a long shot ($300 for a 55 gallon tank?). The only thing Wal-Mart offers is the deluxe series with the hood instead of just the tank itself, the only thing that matters, and believe me, with this offer I'd rather save $160 for the stand because if I put it where the current tank is, I'm pretty sure it would go through the dresser. The nearest pet store is about 20 miles and two hours of traffic away, and it's not worth the grumpiness from the stress that traffic causes. Mom and pop stores here only offer death bowls and twenty gallon tanks. Do I take the offer even if the tank is not big enough?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:11 pm
by Martha
I wouldn't pass up a FREE tank

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:14 pm
by marisa
What size tank is your turtle in now? If the 55-gallon is significantly bigger, I'd get it. Ten gallons short won't make that much of a difference, and if it's free... Just remember your turt will grow and you'll need to be thinking of an upgrade sooner than if you had a larger tank.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:18 pm
by DanielRES1180
Currently it's in a 20 gallon tank. I'm going to check with the lady offering the tank to see if it's a deal or not.
Oh marisa, my friend is finally getting to the idea that the tortoise needs better care. The care sheets and those pictures took a toll on his mindset.
Though it's rather expensive to take care of the tortoise properly, since he needs a dehumidifier since it's so humid down here. He had it housed under a roof with chicken wire bringing in the only light. Is the tortoise being deprived of UV rays this way?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:25 pm
by marisa
Well, the 55-gallon is almost 3X the size of the one your turtle is currently in. If you can't find/afford something bigger, the free tank sounds OK for now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:55 am
by DanielRES1180
Well, the guy gave up on me and decided to not sell it (or give it). But I'll still look in the classifieds for bargains on tanks.