Page 1 of 1

My turtle's shell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:16 pm
by Bowser
Hello everyone,

I've had my turtle Venus for several months now and I've noticed something off about her shell when compared to other turtles. At first I figured she was just shedding but I don't think that's the case anymore. I believe she is about a year and a half old ( yes, Venus is small for her age), her previous owner didn't tend to her very much and kept her in a small tank with no lighting so she was never given the opportunity to stretch her legs and grow. Her diet consisted of pieces of bread and whatever else the kids felt like giving her. When I came across the turtle I felt bad so I decided to take her in as my own and bought her a zilla tank which cost me almost $200 because its supposed to bring whatever my turtle needs. I now feed her reptomin and she has grown substantially and she's also a lot more energetic. I was thinking that maybe due to her past she would not grow regularly like other turtles but that's just my speculation. I hope someone on here can help me identify any problems with my turtle, I would highly appreciate it(sorry that the pictures aren't of the best quality).

Re: My turtle's shell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:39 pm
by steve
Welcome to the forum!

Hard to tell (clarity and color is off) but there is probably some overfeeding. If there are some white spots on the shell, it could be fungus developing.

Re: My turtle's shell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:44 pm
by Bowser
Thanks for responding steve! how often should I feed her exactly? I'll post up some better pics maybe later on today or tomorrow. In case there is fungus what would you recommend I do to help her out?

Re: My turtle's shell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:57 am
by steve
For feeding pellets (use a good brand like Omega-1 or Mazuri) use about 1/2 the amount that would fill her head daily, 5-7 times a week. Try harder with veggies, she can have that every day.