Page 1 of 1
turtles plastron weird color ? RES

Posted:
Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:50 pm
by the-turtle-Girl
I have 2 baby res that I've noticed have a funny coloring to their plastrons . its like a purplish color mixed with the normal yellow and also the lines in between the scutes on the plastron are black ? They eat every other day and I just did a water change and replaced the filter and they bask alot. Im kinda new with turtles I've only had them since may . if someone could help me if appreciate it . I don't have any pics . When I go to my moms ill take some wet and dry pics ..
Re: turtles plastron weird color ? RES

Posted:
Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:33 pm
by steve
It doesn't sound normal, the plastrons do get darker but not when they're hatchlings.
Re: turtles plastron weird color ? RES

Posted:
Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:26 am
by the-turtle-Girl
There not hatchlings one of them is say is about 2 years old but my brother had him and didn't know how to properly care for him . And then I rescued him and he started getting bigger than when I first for him , I've had him since may and his grown about a half an inch or so . but I also have another Res in the tank who I've only had a few months and his shell is doing it too . they bask regularly they eat fine and they act fine . its just a weird color and the limes on their bellies are black ?
Re: turtles plastron weird color ? RES

Posted:
Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:28 am
by the-turtle-Girl
They aren't babies I shouldn't have said it that way . There just little .. There both only about 2 inches long but like I said o e was malnourished for about a year so that stunted his growth badly ..
Re: turtles plastron weird color ? RES

Posted:
Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:24 pm
by Jeremiah
Have you had a chance to get pictures, yet?
Re: turtles plastron weird color ? RES

Posted:
Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:57 pm
by the-turtle-Girl
I tried posting them , it says they're too big .-.
Re: turtles plastron weird color ? RES

Posted:
Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:04 pm
by the-turtle-Girl
Re: turtles plastron weird color ? RES

Posted:
Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:11 am
by steve
Looks normal, and they will have something similar.
Re: turtles plastron weird color ? RES

Posted:
Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:38 pm
by the-turtle-Girl
I feel as if it's gotten darker tho and I've only had my Mississippi Map a couple months and he didn't look like that when I got him and now he looks like the others like his Plastron is changing ..
Re: turtles plastron weird color ? RES

Posted:
Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:03 am
by steve
For RES, it will get pretty dark. My male's plastron is almost completely black.
Re: turtles plastron weird color ? RES

Posted:
Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:33 pm
by the-turtle-Girl
Oh do you have a picture ?
Re: turtles plastron weird color ? RES

Posted:
Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:29 am
by steve
I don't have one but you can get an idea of the variety here:

Re: turtles plastron weird color ? RES

Posted:
Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:02 pm
by the-turtle-Girl
Ohhhh wow !
Re: turtles plastron weird color ? RES

Posted:
Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:10 am
by steve
The skin becomes greyish and some of the stripes become a row of spots. Pretty weird.
Re: turtles plastron weird color ? RES

Posted:
Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:05 pm
by the-turtle-Girl
I kinda thought it was shell rot it scared me at first but like I said I have a Mississippi Map who's shell is doing it too now and he wasn't like that when I got him ...