General Care Discussion :: I have two RES and they keep fighting

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:15 pm   I have two RES and they keep fighting

I have a 40 gallon tank filled only around 25 gallons of water if they don't stop fighting I'm gonna have to put the one that keeps fighting in the CSUN pond.
Helpmemate

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:06 pm   Re: I have two RES and they keep fighting

I would assume CSUN is the California State University Northridge , Yes ?
RES's are an invasive species in California !
Call a shelter , reptile rescue , Humane Society but NOT in the university pond !
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:04 pm   Re: I have two RES and they keep fighting

litefoot wrote:I would assume CSUN is the California State University Northridge , Yes ?
RES's are an invasive species in California !
Call a shelter , reptile rescue , Humane Society but NOT in the university pond !

They have a pond made for RES turtles that's why I thought of putting it there
Helpmemate

Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:59 pm   Re: I have two RES and they keep fighting

First they don't have / own the pond! I called 1-818-677-1200 your school and notified them of your intent. That pond belongs to the county according to the assessor's office and follows California state law. Res turtles are invasive "NOT" Native ! No permits for a RES rescue pond on campus. I also talked to your local Humane Society who took an interest in what you stated on the internet ( gave them the link) .
California has some pretty good animal right laws.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:15 pm   Re: I have two RES and they keep fighting

I just got another baby turtle about 2 inches .my olser turtle is about2.5 inches. They are noth fighting. They come close then ,nudge each other's head or tail ,then chase each other. The older one doesn't let the smaller one to sleep on the platform at night ,although he himself doesn't sleep there ,usually. The smaller one too comes towards the older one ,which makes the older one shiver. So ,i thought may be punishing or intervening the fight may help. so i pickup any one among them ,who atarts fight on front of me ,to tell it is not okay. Then i keep him back. Is it right thing to do? If not ,how can i stop this fighting.
Shinzo10kk

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:03 am   Re: I have two RES and they keep fighting

You'll have to permanently separate them. Once aggression starts, and it almost always occurs, you have to keep them apart before there are serious injuries.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion