General Care Discussion :: Is too much napping unhealthy or a sign of disease?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:25 pm   Is too much napping unhealthy or a sign of disease?

I have two female red eared sliders, both around the same age. I've recently noticed that one of them has been napping a fair bit throughout the day, and the other hasn't been. I assume that both get their sleep proper during the night, as the one that isn't napping doesn't seem sleep deprived, and nothing I know of should be keeping either turtle awake at night.

I've read that excess napping could be a sign of some disease or other problem. Are there any potential symptoms/other factors I should watch for? And if it isn't a symptom of a disease, is it okay and healthy for my turtle to be napping so much?
BreadySetGo

Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:59 am   Re: Is too much napping unhealthy or a sign of disease?

I don't think it's a major symptom of anything, is the other turtle harassing her? That could cause the other turtle to be less active.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:34 pm   Re: Is too much napping unhealthy or a sign of disease?

I don't think so, anything I should be looking for in particular on that front?
BreadySetGo

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:34 pm   Re: Is too much napping unhealthy or a sign of disease?

You just basically need to observe it. If they are older, you might see some cuts and bruises. How's the UVB situation?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:45 pm   Re: Is too much napping unhealthy or a sign of disease?

I don't see any cuts or bruises, and ive honestly never seen anything violent between the turtles past a few accidental bites when they were aiming for food.
I seem to have misplaced the packaging for the bulb, but i have two lights, one basking lamp and one that im fairly sure is UVB, as everytime I replace that light I remember I ask for UVB at the store.
BreadySetGo

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:52 pm   Re: Is too much napping unhealthy or a sign of disease?

How long have you had the bulb? When was the last time you changed the water?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:53 pm   Re: Is too much napping unhealthy or a sign of disease?

I'm pretty sure ive had the bulb for over a year now, if that's specific enough to be helpful. Last water change was about 2 weeks ago? I do water changes every one to two weeks
BreadySetGo

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:55 pm   Re: Is too much napping unhealthy or a sign of disease?

This is tough to diagnose. If they are healthy, it still points to one being aggressive. Does she act like herself when out of the water?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:57 pm   Re: Is too much napping unhealthy or a sign of disease?

Hard to say, they are both really scared and skittish when taken out of their tank, which is pretty much always for a water change. Maybe I could try taking out the other turtle for part of the day, and see if causes a change? Thank you for helping so much by the way!
BreadySetGo

Post Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:29 am   Re: Is too much napping unhealthy or a sign of disease?

It's a good idea. I'm not sure if he behavior will change right away, they usually like it when we're not around or they don't see us. And you're welcome!
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion