General Care Discussion :: Help with Upgrading Red Ear Slider Tank

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:20 am   Help with Upgrading Red Ear Slider Tank

Hello all! I really need help trying to figure out a new living situation for my 2 red ear sliders.

I have 2 red ear sliders named Timo and Muddy who are around 5.5 inches long. I have owned them for around 15+ years. A little background info: They have been living separately in a 15 gallon tank for a really long time. We only put water up to around 2 inches since they were babies, so they have not been able to swim their whole lives.
As I'm getting older, I understand their current living situation is not the correct. We have a basking area for them and a heating and UVB light.

Muddy and Timo have been together 1-2 years when they were very young around only 2-3 inches. However, I saw one of them almost biting the other's neck so I had to separate them.
Now I want to buy a tank so they can live together. How many gallons would this tank need to be? Is a 55 or 75 gallon aquarium tank okay for both of them? And how can I reintroduce them together so they won't fight and be friendly towards each other? (This is something I'm really worried about- how to reintroduce them).
Also, my 2 red ear sliders have only have water that is only 2 inches high. How much water should I be putting in the new aquarium tank since they are not used to swimming.
I know I would need a water heater, water filter, and a python. Is there anything else I am missing? I am also having a hard time knowing what water filter to buy. Is there any recommendations, preferably a water filter that's not too expensive.

I'm sorry this is a lot of information, but I have owned my turtles since I was like 7. As I am older now, I realize their current living situation is wrong and I want to update it as soon as possible because they are both way too big for their tanks.
Thank you so much!
angelaaa

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:11 am   Re: Help with Upgrading Red Ear Slider Tank

The problem with captive RES and aggression is that it doesn't go away. Males are almost guaranteed to be aggressors and separation is the only real solution. For a tank, a 75 gallon would be good IF they didn't fight. You should either have a second tank or an even larger/longer one than a 75G that can have a barrier.

If there are no health issues, then just gradually raise water levels everyday. Do make sure they have areas to rest, not just the basking platform. A resin platform on the bottom would be fine.

It's great you want to take action to correct their current setup. First step is to decide how you want to handle the tank.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:42 pm   Re: Help with Upgrading Red Ear Slider Tank

I have a 125 gallon tank & run three Eheim 2217s. I'd originally planned on two, but came into a 3rd, so I set it up. They're good filters and not outrageously expensive. For your filter, you might look around on eBay for a used one.
Longhorn

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:21 am   Re: Help with Upgrading Red Ear Slider Tank

3 filters! Do you clean them at the same time, or just alternate?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:50 am   Re: Help with Upgrading Red Ear Slider Tank

It's a new set-up, so I'm just coming up on my first cleaning. I believe alternating would be a better idea to avoid decimating the bacteria colonies.
Longhorn

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:37 am   Re: Help with Upgrading Red Ear Slider Tank

You can just load one filter with bio media and never change that one.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:20 pm   Re: Help with Upgrading Red Ear Slider Tank

I'm still unsure if my two turtles are males or females. I try to look under their tail but whenever I pick them up, their tails are tucked. Both their nails are short.
Would it be okay if I put them together for one day and watch them to see if they fight or is that too risky? Also, if I were to get a tank, would I just buy like a plastic barrier with holes and cut it to fit the tank to make a barrier in the middle?

Also, what is a resin platform?
Currently, they both have a basking bridge, but we will need a new because once the water level is higher, it will be above the basking platform. I know there's basking platforms that have suction cups, but my 2 turtles are pretty big (5.5 inches) and I feel like the suction cups won't be able to hold them...would I just buy a basking platform that's tall in height (kinda of like a big rock with a place to bask on top of the rock?)
The pet store currently has a 55 gallon tank. Is that too small to fit 2 turtles with a barrier? If it is, then I'll wait until a 75 gallon tank comes out.
Thank you again!
angelaaa

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:42 am   Re: Help with Upgrading Red Ear Slider Tank

If the tails are short and stubby, sounds like you have females. 5.5" is a bit on the small side for females. You can certainly try to put them together but you will need to keep a close eye on them constantly. Yes, something made of plastic can be used as a separator, of course the material and design are important to make they can't get stuck or trapped on it.

When I mention a resin platform, something like this is what I mean: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004PB8U98

If you are still looking to get a single tank, do try to get the largest one you can. Don't forget you might need a new stand too.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:07 am   Re: Help with Upgrading Red Ear Slider Tank

Hi Steve,
Happy new year! Sorry I never got back to you, I've been really busy with college. I have some good news. There was a sale with aquariums and the biggest one they had was 55 gallons, so my parents got one for my 2 turtles!
So, I actually do have 2 of the resin platforms you showed me! They are currently in separate 20-30 gallon tanks (which I know is very small for them since one of them is 5.5 inches and the other is 5 inches). They have 1.5 inches of water high and a resin platform to bask. (Their current set up).
Since, I got a 55 gallon tank now, I know I need to get a filter. Do you have any recommend filters for a 55 gallon tank? Earlier, you mentioned to raise water levels everyday. I looked up some filters and some require a minimum water level. Since my turtles have been only in water only 1.5 inches high, are there any filters that can have a smaller amount of water? I'm not sure if there are filters that run in a 55 gallon tank with only water that's 1.5 inches high....I was looking at a filter called "Aqueon QuietFlow LED PRO Aquarium Power Filter," which caught my eye because it doesn't take up space inside the tank...however, I don't think it works with only water that's an inch high...
Currently on my hands, I have a 55 gallon tank and a siphon to get rid of 1/4 of the water monthly (I did some research, and I believe that's correct? That you only need to get rid of 25% of the water?)
Next, is the filter. I have a UV lamp and a heat lamp. I also need to get a water heater, correct? Do you have any recommendations? Other than these things...am I missing anything else?

Thank you for the help! I really appreciate it. I really want to improve the living conditions for the turtles. I've had them when they were only like 2 inches and now they are 5.5 and 5 inches! I feel miserable seeing them in small tanks, and I want to make sure they can live in a bigger and better condition than before.
angelaaa

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:18 am   Re: Help with Upgrading Red Ear Slider Tank

Also, I'm getting worried reading about Respiratory Infections. My 2 red ear sliders never had a water heater in their whole lives. They always been in water that's very low in height. However, they have a resin platform with a heat and UV lamp. Can turtles get RI from being in cold water?
Their eyes are not puffy, but sometimes they do bask more often than usual. They have basked 24 hours, but rarely. Maybe like 1-3 times a year.
angelaaa

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:43 pm   Re: Help with Upgrading Red Ear Slider Tank

You'll definitely want more water in the tanks but do keep in mind that they will try to aggressively climb out at times. Canister filters work best with turtles, but it would be wasteful with low water levels. The kind of filter you linked is OK, but as you noticed the hang-on style require even higher water levels (because they don't need priming).

Any reason you are not increasing the water level?

What are the water temperature ranges? Wild RES can be in very cold temps, but there are other factors going on.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:19 pm   Re: Help with Upgrading Red Ear Slider Tank

Do you have any recommended canister filters? And what is priming?
I included a photo of their current setup. I also have another turtle with the same setup right next to aquarium I showed you in the picture. I had them when they were very little and they always had low water levels and we just never increased them. I was only like 6-7 years old when I got them, so I never knew the correct red ear slider living conditions, and my parents didn’t know either. But since I’m older, I know now and I hope it’s not too late to change their living conditions. Their aquariums are next to a window (the large windows next to a balcony) mainly because we get a lot of sunshine in our house (so they like to bask when the sun comes out). Nowadays, it’s been getting colder and there’s no sun so I just turn on the heat lamp for them, and then switch over the heat lamp to my other turtle and turn on the UV lamp. We barely open the windows now because it’s so cold.

They’ve always been next to the window for their entire lives. I’m not sure how cold the water is...probably colder than room temp? Also, I mentioned before how we change the water ourselves weekly. If it’s more dirty than usual, then we change it earlier. We give them slightly warm water whenever we change their water, and they like to sleep whenever the water is slightly warm. We also feed in a separate tub.
angelaaa

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:30 pm   Re: Help with Upgrading Red Ear Slider Tank

Canister filters are a lot bigger an expensive, but can't be matched with their performance. Fluval FX4, and FX6 are good values but there are lots of other brands and knock offs. Did you ever get a water heater?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:03 pm   Re: Help with Upgrading Red Ear Slider Tank

Shop around for canister filters. Though they aren't as fancy as the Fluvals, the Eheim 2217 classic filters are very popular and very reliable. They can be found for around $175. One consideration, you have a 55 gallon tank now. If you buy a decent canister filter, you can go with multiple filters as you move to a larger tank. We run three 2217s in our 125 gallon tank with two turtles. You can't have too much filtration!

Priming is drawing water through the pump before starting it so that when it is turned on, it is able to function properly. If a pump isn't primed, it works against air and will have great difficulty moving liquid.

For a cheap thermometer, we use one for barbecuing meat that we picked up at Lowes for $10. Works like a charm! Just turn it on and stick the probe in the water.
Longhorn

Post Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:20 am   Re: Help with Upgrading Red Ear Slider Tank

I now understand that canister filters are the best. So since it’s stored below/next to the aquarium...is there like a tube that you stick into the water? It would take up less space in the aquarium right? How does the filtering system work?
I haven’t gotten a water heater yet...are there any brands you recommend? The canister filters seem really pricey. More expensive than the 55 gallon tank I got. But I do understand the importance of a good filter...since I have 2 turtles.
For a 55 gallon tank with 2 turtles, which Fluval filter would be suitable? Is the 307 series ok? That's the most my parents are wiling to afford at this point. I will look into the Eheim filters too.

Also sorry i forgot to attach a picture of my turtle’s setup. Of course this set up is not correct. But I just wanted to show their water levels, because their water levels have been like this since they were babies. When I move them to the 55 gallon tank, I will start increasing water levels.
Attachments
IMG_7175.jpg
angelaaa

Next

Return to General Care Discussion