General Care Discussion :: Slightly lethargic?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:10 pm   Slightly lethargic?

I have a female red eared slider that I believe is a couple years old and is 6+in. We actually found her on our lawn a year ago. Not a native specie where I live and based on her familiarity with tank living she was probably an abandoned pet. Last couple of weeks she's been acting a bit on the lethargic side. She would lay under or next to her basking platform in the water and not move around a lot. She has no issues with eating, in fact she's only interested in food. Should I be worried or am I overthinking? Thanks.
xVoyagerx

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:55 pm   Re: Slightly lethargic?

If she's wild, she's probably older than 2 years @ around 6". She could also be gravid and looking for a place to nest, since most wild RES do not wander away from their ponds/lakes. I know you said they are not native, but they've proven they can survive pretty much anywhere.

As for the lethargy, it could be due boredom. Around this time, seasonal changes with less light and cooler temps does greatly contribute to it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:02 pm   Re: Slightly lethargic?

I should've been clearer about where she was found. I live by the sea so no freshwater ponds near me. That's why we think she was a pet. Good to hear it might just be winter blues. Thanks
xVoyagerx

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:21 pm   Re: Slightly lethargic?

Do you have a submersible heater? What's her basking setup like? Even if temps/lights are artificially maintained, S.A.D. (Seasonal affective disorder) still affects them but you don't want it too cold.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:07 pm   Re: Slightly lethargic?

Yes she has a heater that keeps the tank at 75f. She has a heating lamp with a reptisun 5.0 as a part of her basking setup.
xVoyagerx

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:01 pm   Re: Slightly lethargic?

Is there any signs I should be looking out for or should I be only worried if her appetite changes? Thanks.
xVoyagerx

Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:29 pm   Re: Slightly lethargic?

I wouldn't worry about a decrease in appetite but keep an eye out for other symptoms like lack of/unusual poop, discoloration on shell or skin, swelling/puffiness, swollen eye lids, vomiting, and lack of other turtle activities (approach, basking).
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion