General Care Discussion :: Scutes growing on top of other scutes

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:25 pm   Scutes growing on top of other scutes

Hey! So im generally new to taking care of turtles as I got my first hatchling in November 2nd, 2020, at first I feel as if I did overfeed her, just for the first 2-3 weeks, after that I fixed her diet to be at least a bit better. My main concern is that she hasnt shed scutes yet. Some of her scutes seem as if theyre caving into her shell, and I could see her old scutes growing on top of another thin layer of scutes under. Im not sure if this is normal or not, can someone please please help me, I just want to make sure hes growing well and honestly im pretty flustered because I dont know if shes growing properly. Shes very acyive, eats regularly and also basks regularlt, I even recently started giving her calcium powder with her pellets. This is ariel, please let me know!
Nestor2018

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:55 pm   Re: Scutes growing on top of other scutes

This is described as pyramiding, so you need to consistently make sure she is not overfed. Does she have a UVB light? Shedding can take awhile, so you need to be patient about it but you can observe the progress.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion