General Care Discussion :: Turtle burping/bubbles

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:11 am   Turtle burping/bubbles

I have a slider that recently started making what sounds like burping noises, followed by releasing all that air out her mouth and nose for the past few nights. I know it's a sign she could have a respiratory infection, or worst case starting to get pneumonia but the bubbles just started and its not like... a little. Just one day it started happening, a lot. She only does it at night when she's moving around though, once she falls asleep it stops. I did though barely start giving her greens before it started happening so I'm wondering if it's possibly related. If she grew up with zero greens, and just started receiving some one day, could that cause gas problems for her? I'm giving her turnip greens and cutting back on her pellets, which she isn't used to so she's acting like she's starving. Other than that she seems fine, but I will be taking her to the vet regardless just to be sure. She has had an infection in the past but when she was making bubbles back then it was nothing like this...this is very different. I just wanted to know if it is possible it's the turnip greens.
Clover

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:02 am   Re: Turtle burping/bubbles

I would definitely ease into veggies as you're more likely to encounter loose stools. Burping alone is not a symptom of respiratory infection, but do keep an eye out for anything else.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:11 pm   Re: Turtle burping/bubbles

Okay I will, thank you Steve. I cut back on the greens, yeah she did get very loose poop and it dyed the water green. I hope I cut back soon enough, or another full water change will be in my future.
Clover

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:56 pm   Re: Turtle burping/bubbles

Was her past infection also RI? I think it's a little over diagnosed but it's always good to keep an eye out for anything unusual.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:08 pm   Re: Turtle burping/bubbles

Not gonna lie I don't remember if it was RI or the beginnings of pneumonia, I just remember the vet said she had some fluid in her lung. And gave her a shot of something, then gave me antibiotic drops to administer through her nostrils. THat was back in 2017 and she has been okay since, till about a month ago. Her shell gets heavy on one side when she has to lay eggs, and it tends to hit the bottom of the tank when she walks around underwater. Well that was happening, but she isn't showing any signs of having to lay eggs. She tends to lose her appetite and tries like heck to get out of the tank, it's very noticeable. She isn't doing that though, and i have been taking her out almost everyday, no digging anywhere.
We did take her to the vet yesterday and it was just all bad news to me, I'm bummed. He showed me a side view x-ray , and pointed out her lungs ..I think, and then said " see how all the rest of it is white?", that he should be able to see her organs but he can't. He said it looks like there is fluid in her abdomen, and that it's pushing up agains her lungs, but he wasn't entirely sure. That from what he sees it could be one of several different things causing this. So he sent her x-rays off to a radiologist that is specialized in reptiles, to take a look at. Now we're just waiting to hear what the results are and if there needs to be more tests done.
Clover

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:58 pm   Re: Turtle burping/bubbles

Sorry to hear about the vet visit. It sounds like she's a fighter and getting the best of care.

Did they do any blood tests? That could rule out some infections.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:53 pm   Re: Turtle burping/bubbles

No blood tests, just a checkup and xrays. The radiologist said she has pneumonia and it looks like she may have some sort of mass in her abdomen, so he's sending the image off to a reptile friend of his. Which is nice, I thought the radiologist was specialized in reptiles but I guess I heard wrong. We're leaving soon to get her antibiotic shots, she'll be getting one shot every 3 days for the next six weeks. Also the vet wants us to bring her back in six weeks to do follow up xrays and to possibly get an ultrasound. At no point anywhere did he mention bloodwork being done, which is kinda weird but I figured he's probably waiting to see what the others say about her xrays.
I'm just stressing so much about the shot right now, I've never given one and my brain is telling me I might accidently kill her.
Is it okay to still post here? I know this is more than just general care now, since all I'm doing is updating on what is happening to her. I do appreciate it though, it's nice to talk about it.
Clover

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:05 pm   Re: Turtle burping/bubbles

How did it go? You're doing everything you can, which is far more than what most do. And yes, we can still post here.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:13 pm   Re: Turtle burping/bubbles

She peed on the ground after the vet gave her the first shot, haha. It went alright, her shots are in the freezer and today was the third day so I just gave her a shot a bit ago. He's having me do back legs, alternating each time. I had to press harder than I thought to get it in her leg and I feel like it didn't go in far enough. Trying not to think too much about it though, it went in, the medicine stayed in, a little blood came out. She was walking fine on the ground and is still alive so yay. Her poor little leg muscles though, sorry Sam!
Clover

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:27 pm   Re: Turtle burping/bubbles

Awww, did she try to bite you? Mine would also squirm and scratch pretty hard too.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:56 pm   Re: Turtle burping/bubbles

Nah she doesn't hiss anymore and isn't a biter unless you're in the water with her. She's does good, she struggles a little bit but not too much. She still makes bubbles but not as much as before, and seems to be doing better staying underwater. She still has a tilt though so I can only hope it gets better as the weeks go by.
Clover

Return to General Care Discussion