General Care Discussion :: Res starts thrashing EVERY morning at 6:30am...please help

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:11 am   Res starts thrashing EVERY morning at 6:30am...please help

My RES is 5 (or older, I’ve had him five years) and recently has been driving me insane with his splashing and thrashing against his tank. I got him an automatic feeder a few months ago because I thought the problem was him seeing me and associating me with food and since his tank is in my room, every time I came into my room he’d think it was feeding time. The auto feeder is set to feed him at 7am and now every morning for the past month without fail, he’s up at 6:30, splashing and thrashing below the feeder. I can’t take this anymore as I’m losing sleep and growing very resentful of him, which I hate. He has to stay in my room for now. I’m also positive he’s male and isn’t gravid. Any advice? Do I take away the auto feeder? Do I set it to feed him at night instead? I’m desperate for any kind of solution (other than getting rid of him) at this point.
Squirtleturtle

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:44 am   Re: Res starts thrashing EVERY morning at 6:30am...please he

It can be pretty frustrating. You need to ignore him when it's not feeding time, and it should break this habit (most of the time). Have you fed him veggies before? That might also help placate his appetite. You can also cover the side of the tank so he can't see you when you are in the room.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:46 pm   Re: Res starts thrashing EVERY morning at 6:30am...please he

steve wrote:It can be pretty frustrating. You need to ignore him when it's not feeding time, and it should break this habit (most of the time). Have you fed him veggies before? That might also help placate his appetite. You can also cover the side of the tank so he can't see you when you are in the room.

Thanks for the reply. I already have the tank covered at night but he waits beneath the auto feeder and splashed for thirty minutes before it goes off. Should I move his feeding times up 30 minutes or will that wake him up even earlier? I’ve also tried removing the feeder so he cant see it but no matter what he’s up and thrashing at 6:30. I don’t feed him when he does this but he’s never done this until recently so I’m not sure what started this awful ha it or how to break it.
Squirtleturtle

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:37 pm   Re: Res starts thrashing EVERY morning at 6:30am...please he

I would probably remove the feeder if it is causing a distraction. Are the lights on a timer too?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:28 pm   Re: Res starts thrashing EVERY morning at 6:30am...please he

steve wrote:I would probably remove the feeder if it is causing a distraction. Are the lights on a timer too?

Yes, lights are on a timer and go on after he’s fed so I can’t figure out why he’s suddenly awake and begging so early :( lights on on around 8am.
Squirtleturtle

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:23 pm   Re: Res starts thrashing EVERY morning at 6:30am...please he

Begging is a hard habit to break. Have you tried leafy greens?
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion