General Care Discussion :: Skin Concern

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:39 am   Skin Concern

Hello All!

I have a Red Eared Slider of 11 years (Shelldon Leo Kooper). The other day, I was examining her and noticed an odd patch of skin on the right side of her face. It seems to have weird brown spots on the big yellow line and above the yellow line is a darker coloration (below the red stripe). It appears to be shedding (like usual with the traditional wispy beard), but I read that a fungal infection could look like that with the brown spots so I am concerned. I have attached a photo of it, along with a picture of her left side (which looks normal) for comparison. I am just not sure if this is an odd shed, or more concerning a fungus. I have contacted her veterinarian, but while I await a response, I figured I would scout out some information.

Water quality has been normal, with abundant filtration, water temperature is maintained at about 78 with a heater, basking area has a Zoomed Mini Desert UVB and is about 88-92 degrees on the warm end with a Reptibask Bulb. SHe has been eating enthusiastically (to put it mildly), basking normally, no changes in swimming habits or behavior in general. Feces have also been clean (brown formed etc).

Thank you.
Attachments
SLK-Left Side 2.jpg
THis side looks normal; comparison
SLK-Right Side 2.jpg
The side I am concerned about
Gerstein

Post Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:03 pm   Re: Skin Concern

So an update; I noticed a smaller, yet similar brown spot on the leftside of Shelldon's face (It was in the picture I sent earlier, I just didn't notice it until now). Both sides of the face, along with the forelimbs and hindlimbs are shedding now. Thinking about it rationally, the large area of shedding combined with the lack of any other symptoms (not even any redness) leads me to believe that this is just an odd shed, and that (per the norm) I was likely making a mountain out of a molehill again. I had just never seen a shed quite like that before, nor do I particularly know what a fungus infection looks like, so when I read that "Fungus may appear as a wispy white or brown patch and is clearly visible underwater', and "Not to be mistaken for shedding'. my brain went into its usual 'panic' mode. I do apologize, but I do think it wise to err on the side of caution and catch these types of things early, even if it means more worrying on my part. That being said, if it does seem off to anyone, or if anyone confirm that it is my usual "Shelldon Hypochondrism" acting up again, I would appreciate it.

Thank you,
David G.
Gerstein

Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:16 pm   Re: Skin Concern

I think it's somewhat normal, though I don't think I've seen it clearly as pictured before. While male RES will undergo a more dramatic change with melanism, I'm not sure what this could be attributed to though it does not look like fungus or an infection.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:06 pm   Re: Skin Concern

Thank you. Her veterinarian thought the same thing; something to do with shedding. I'm not sure exactly, but I'll monitor as always. At least I am reasonably confident now that it is not an infection or anything particularly worrisome.

Thank you.
Gerstein

Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:15 pm   Re: Skin Concern

I don't normally see shedding around there, but just keep any eye on it and any other symptoms. In a few weeks, she'll have you worrying about something else :D
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion