General Care Discussion :: Turtle diarrhea and cloudy tank

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2021 12:03 pm   Turtle diarrhea and cloudy tank

Hi, so the past few days my turtle appears to have diarrhea. I have everything the same except I took him out of the tank to clean it he seemed every upset more than normal, he has been back to normal the past few days but he still has what seems like a cloudy fog of poo. He also all the sudden started having cloudy water in the tank as his diarrhea appeared. So my two questions are is there anything I can do for the diarrhea? Also is the diarrhea why my tank is cloudy if not what else could it be?

EDIT: I got a brand new 40 gallon hang on back filter, I checked it it is clean and I changed the cartridge but it is filtering funky I think the might add to the cloudy tank but I don't know. The filter sucks up the water but then doesn't push the water all the way to the other side of the filter except a little it drips, the rest of the water just comes out the same section as the pipe. Could this be maybe it is getting stopped up by the diarrhea did I not push a piece in all the way, if anyone has any ideas please help thank you so much??!

My tank is a 20 gallon soon to be upgraded, it has a above tank basking area, a uvb and uva light, a hang on back filter for a 40 gallon, a fake log like cave ordainment, a big rock, black and glow light gravel, and medium size small rocks.

If anyone has any advice or questions that would help determine the problem just let me know, thank you so much!! :) :mrgreen:
Last edited by Turtle Lover 48 on Wed May 26, 2021 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turtle Lover 48

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2021 3:31 pm   Re: Turtle diarrhea and cloudy tank

What have you been feeding him? When this happens to my RES, it's usually because she ate too much veggies. I would then use a small amount of pellets daily until her poop goes back to normal.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:14 pm   Re: Turtle diarrhea and cloudy tank

Thank you for your advice, lately I have been feeding him (dead) meal worms and shrimp pellets.
Do you know if this would be the reason for the tank being foggy?:)
Turtle Lover 48

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:44 am   Re: Turtle diarrhea and cloudy tank

Well, neither are great for him and considered treats, so I would go back to a staple pellet. Mazuri and Omega One are really good to use.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:33 pm   Re: Turtle diarrhea and cloudy tank

OK, Thank you so much!!

If anyone else knows anything about the cloudy tank and/or filter let me know :)
Turtle Lover 48

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 2:35 pm   Re: Turtle diarrhea and cloudy tank

Generally, more water and a canister filter will help a lot with water quality. Small rocks/gravel should be used with caution (preferably not at all) as your turtle might eat it and it would cause an impaction. It also traps a lot of waste, so thats another reason not to use it.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion