General Care Discussion :: Entertaining My RES

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:23 pm   Entertaining My RES

I have a 13 year-old RES, male. He's very healthy. I have him a 50-gallon tank with lots of room for him to swim. He seems to crave attention. When we walk by, he'll jump off his basking platform and try to climb up the glass to get our attention. He'll swim and splash frantically from one side of the tank to the other until we go to the tank and look him in the eye or touch the glass so he can follow my finger. He has a good appetite, but he doesn't seem to be craving food because when I feed him, he doesn't stop this "begging" for attention. If I walk away, he will give up and eventually eat the food. I've taken him out of the tank sometimes and put him in a safe spot on the family room floor so that he can look around, or on the kitchen table, but he seems to get bored pretty quickly and will look for attention in these settings as well. I've tried putting a ping pong ball in the tank for him to play with, but he has no interest. I put live goldfish in the tank sometimes for him to hunt and feed but, he still continues this behavior. How can I entertain this little guy?
Stripe'sDad

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:30 pm   Re: Entertaining My RES

I don't think there really is anything you can do. A larger tank, some decorations like caves and bubble wands might help, but there is no guarantee anything will work as hoped.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion