General Care Discussion :: Albino Terrapin.

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:38 pm   Re: Albino Terrapin.

Hi Steve,

I am looking to get a bigger tank for my albino slider.

would you recommend which is a best type?

a 3 feet glass tank or a 400 litres tub?

and which filter?

cause i read that canister filter must be place bottom of tank, and if i go for a tub, the canister filter will be the same level as tank as i am placing on the floor.

please advise.
XtReMeBoL

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:49 am   Re: Albino Terrapin.

What are the dimensions of the glass tank? What kind of material is the tub? For the filter, you will want to get at least a Fluval FX6.

You can raise the tub easily with some cinder blocks. Is it a stock tank?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:07 am   Re: Albino Terrapin.

Hi Steve,

It’s actually plastic with dimension : 129cm(length) by 85 cm(breath) by 45 cm tall.
The plastic tub is for 480 litres but of cause will not be filling water to the brim, so maybe add 400 to 430 litres?…

For the 3 feet glass tank, dimension 3ft by 1.5ft by 1.5 ft
XtReMeBoL

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:32 am   Re: Albino Terrapin.

The size of the glass tank might be OK for a small male slider, though still on the small side. If you don't mind the looks of the tub, then I would go with that.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:46 pm   Re: Albino Terrapin.

thanks steve, how about filter?

recommend a canister filter?

internal filter and hang on back not good enough?

i will go for the tub and try to raise a little higher then the filter, but not sure if the canister filter will work if it's on the same level as tub and maybe the water will be higher then the filter.
XtReMeBoL

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:02 am   Re: Albino Terrapin.

recently, i purchase the big play penn basking platform, wow that's huge...
and also, bought the oase biostyle filter, so now i have 2 filter running till i get my tub...

XtReMeBoL

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:17 am   Re: Albino Terrapin.

A hang on back filter won't fit a stock tank, you would need to cut away part of the rim on the tank. But those filters have very little media capacity and won't do much aside push some water around. You should look into a a Fluval FX6... probably the best filter for turtle setups. You will need/want to raise the tank up because canister filters need gravity for the siphon. You can get it work without doing so but it is not recommended. An additional plus on raising the tank would be that it's easier on your back when doing tank maintenance or reaching into the tank.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:38 am   Re: Albino Terrapin.

Thanks Steve, how abt internal filter instead??

Might have some problem raising tank ..
XtReMeBoL

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:45 am   Re: Albino Terrapin.

Internal would be worse than a hang on filter. It wouldn't be pretty, but some cinder blocks is an easy and cheap way to raise the tank. There are also plans out there using 2x4 and 4x4 too.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:30 am   Re: Albino Terrapin.

Thanks Steve, waiting for my tub to reach me and will plan from there, in opinion, canister filter is the best overall right?
XtReMeBoL

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:00 am   Re: Albino Terrapin.

Yes, hands down unless you can get something custom made.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:28 am   Re: Albino Terrapin.

sad news sir..

my local store does not have the fluval fx6 or fx 4.
they recommend me the oase biomaster with pre filter and heater which is easier to maintain then fluval, is it okay?

another thing i want to check, about feeding the slider, i understand that for pellet feeding, feed them the amount that can fit their hollow head, but i am having a hard time measuring, based on the omega one adult pellet, roughly how much to feed?

now i am feeding about 25 pellet and it finish up in almost 5 to 10 mins... should i increase the pellet to roughly 30?
XtReMeBoL

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:03 am   Re: Albino Terrapin.

I'm not sure if a biomaster is easier to maintain but you also probably don't need a prefilter and built-in heater. Get the biggest canister filter you can because you are only interested in media capacity and water flow.

I'd also feed your turtle less pellets. Perhaps 1/2 of the "head" amount and start increasing variety.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:27 am   Re: Albino Terrapin.

thanks steve, i am now waiting for my tub to reach me in Singapore, takes about a week or 2.

another question, since i am unable to get the fluval fx (it's expansive, i just know that the cost is so much higher then fluval canister / hang on back filter). the other option i can opt for is oase biomaster, the current hang on back oase filter i have, will be spare in case certain area, the canister filter cannot reach some area...

btw, i understand for turtle, we need to get the capacity of the filter which is times 2 of my tank, meaning if my tub is 480 litres, but of cause it will not be filling to the brim, let's take about 440litres, so using 440litres times 2 will get us: 880 litres filter, so in thise case for oase, i can only get the oase biomaster 850 for max of 850 litres right?

how about the gph? do i need to care about this?

and also, for the docking, since my top basking platform wont fit the tub, i am intending to get the penn plax floating turtle platform which can go up to 16 inch filled with water, in which is about 40cm, believe 35 - 40cm water deep is enough?

do advise please.
XtReMeBoL

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:13 pm   Re: Albino Terrapin.

The filter x 2 or x 3 rating is a guide line. Filters (regardless of flow rate) will say they are for this # of gallons or litres, so it's safer to double it when using them with turtles.

As for the dock, I don't personally like the penn plax floating turtle platform, but you will probably have to modify it to make it suitable for where you want to use it.
steve
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Care Discussion