General Care Discussion :: Nesting

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:39 pm   Re: Nesting

They do make us worry, don't they? Hopefully she expels them soon.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:59 pm   Re: Nesting

She laid 13 eggs today! She must have been wondering why I was trying to rush her process when she was still making eggs haha. We'll keep treating her for her head cut but otherwise, we're in the clear. We're into warmer weather here now, so if she wants to lay another clutch she'll be good to go outside whenever she's ready!
victoria&mabel

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:19 am   Re: Nesting

That's great to hear! So she did it outside without an injection?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:13 am   Re: Nesting

Yes, outside with the oxytocin. I'm happy about that. The oxytocin was in a large needle that needed to be injected in 4 spots, and I hate doing that to her. She seemed a little extra frantic yesterday, the weather was right, and she got right to work as soon as she got outside. That was her biggest clutch yet. I'm curious if she'll lay another clutch this season or not. But, from now on I'll have to just trust that she'll let me know when it's time.
victoria&mabel

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:08 pm   Re: Nesting

Thanks for the details. Glad it went well and good job overall!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:04 am   Re: Nesting

I hate to bug again haha.... Have you ever heard of the cloaca staying partially open, just enough to be visible, after laying eggs?
victoria&mabel

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:57 am   Re: Nesting

It's probably just swollen a bit. It's been a long time since my turtle laid eggs, and I wasn't looking out for that.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:23 pm   Re: Nesting

It appears now as though it's opening and closing. I'm not sure what that means. She isn't moving at all when it's happening so I don't believe she is straining, but still weird. I'm going to get monitor for a few days and then if it keeps happening I'll take her in to get checked out.
victoria&mabel

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:15 am   Re: Nesting

Another 8 eggs for Mabel yesterday! She is getting quick and efficient at making the eggs and getting them out haha.

Her cloaca appears to be open when she's swimming in her tank now though. I'm not sure if that's normal. She is capable of closing it, as she does if you pick her up to inspect. Anyway, I'm happy that we're still moving along with our clutches, we'll see how many eggs she gets out this season.
victoria&mabel

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2022 7:47 pm   Re: Nesting

Glad to hear she's laying them, hopefully she'll be done soon. It's unusual for them to lay this many eggs without a mate, but she's doing.a good job.

The cloaca is probably a bit sore/swollen, but sounds like she's doing well! The rest sounds pretty normal.
steve
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Care Discussion