General Care Discussion :: Strange behavior after laying eggs

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:28 am   Strange behavior after laying eggs

Hi,

I have two females and egg time has come again :)

Usually they lay eggs in water tank and if I am lucky enough I will pull them out before they bite them and make a mess.
But this time they did not and kept acting like turtles with eggs (trying to escape aquarium, swimming frantically)

So I brought them to vet and she scan them with RTG, found four eggs in one and five eggs in second turtle, gave them calcium supplement and oxytocin.
They finally layed eggs in separate tanks (but they "live" together since ever)
It looked like everything is over, they calmed down, got apetite for food, behaving curious and "normal"

Two, three days later, they are behaving like they want to lay more.
They are swimming frantically, trying to escape aquarium, when I put them oudside theyt dig with back paws (testing the ground first with front paws)

I again offered them nesting boxes. Different sizes, entrances to them, all types of soil mixtures, humidity and privacy, but they simply does not want them and instantly trying to escape from them as well.
They are 22 years old and I have not seem them like that.

What do you think? Will it go away? should I take them to vet for check up again?

Thanks a lot!
mantequia

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:35 pm   Re: Strange behavior after laying eggs

They should be fine as long as they are able to lay the eggs. When they can't is when you should take them to the vet. Some RES have overactive ovaries and might require surgery. As for nesting boxes, they usually don't work and outdoor nests have a much higher success rate.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion