Page 1 of 1

RES eating bottom feeder food, is it ok?????

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:09 pm
by April
I have one lrg. bottom feeder in my RES tank to control the algea but it has fixed the problem a little to well and now it has no algea to eat so I bought bottom feeder food (sorry, can't remember the technical name) but when I feed the bottom feeder, around the same time I feed my RES they eat the bottom feeders food. Is it going to hurt them, should I take them out of the tank when I feed him? :? Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:19 pm
by missibsu
When I feed my feeder fish the turts eat the flakes. I have taken to crunching it up real small. In terms of the feeder food though, you might want to just remove them for a short period of time, or feed the turt at the same time to distract him. It shouldn't hurt him to eat it occassionally, but I don't think you want to make a habit of it either.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:35 pm
by sonyj
Bottom feeders ( is it a plecostomus?) usually feed at night. Try feeding him the algae wafers after lights out time and your RES are asleep. This is what I do from time to time when I need to feed the pleco. It won't hurt your turtle to eat these occasionally, but you don't want it to become frequent.