Page 1 of 1
Cant keep turtles:(

Posted:
Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:33 am
by RachPreach
My turtles have gotten to the point where they are too big for any aquarium that I have. I am looking for some place for them to go but Im not sure where? Is there a place on this website that people can put their turtles for free to good home?

Posted:
Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:25 pm
by missibsu
Many states have turtle rescues or reptile rescues. This is better than leaving them at a humane society because they usually do not have the space or knowledge for proper care.
You can also place your turtle for adoption in your local newspaper, or on a site such a craigslist. I would make sure that you screen prospective caregivers and make sure that meet your standards. Also, be upfront with them on what it is going to take to raise these turtles.
Turtles are a long time committment. People take that forgranted when purchasing them, and it saddens me.
Whatever you do, don't release it into the wild.

Posted:
Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:40 pm
by marisa
Where are you located?

Posted:
Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:01 pm
by RachPreach
Im in monroe, LA.

Posted:
Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:05 pm
by RachPreach
by the way...craigslist.com is too far away for me to post anything on about turtles anyway...
I care about the well being of these turtles so dont worry about me letting them go in the wild. My father is going to ask a man that he knows that wrote a book on reptiles about the situation.

Posted:
Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:38 pm
by mel236
I wish I could take them but I am in California and the travel would be waaaaayy too much for them.
You may be able to contact a local agency to care for them - a local humane society, perhaps, check the internet for local rescue groups as well.
Wish I could be more help.
Good luck.
Melanie

Posted:
Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:19 pm
by marisa
Do you have any zoos, science centers, children's museums that have animal exhibits anywhere near you? You could contact them to see if they would know of anything.