Page 1 of 1

taking the turtle outside

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:58 pm
by Ronin
How long should I be letting my turtle be outside. I keep him in a small container with a bit of water becuase he is still a baby. Its usually between 25-30 degres celsius here.

Re: taking the turtle outside

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:33 pm
by sonyj
Ronin wrote:How long should I be letting my turtle be outside. I keep him in a small container with a bit of water becuase he is still a baby. Its usually between 25-30 degres celsius here.


The small container... is it just for outside or is it his full-time home? Even outside he needs plenty of water because the sun can heat the water up very quickly. I'm not exactly sure how long is too long each time, but if you take him out a few times a week for an hour or so each time it will take care of his UVB needs. Be sure he is supervised and has a shady place to go to while out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:27 pm
by mega_devastation
umm, i also had a question for taking it out: what if its cloudy outside does it still get the vitamin? (i don't mean cloudy like a rainy day, just not really sunny)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:30 pm
by JuelisKaylee
Depending on it's measurement of the container you can probably place a piece of cardboard or something over half of the container, that way your little one can take cover from the sun when he's had too much.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:05 pm
by steve
DO NOT TAKE HIM OUTSIDE IN A PLASTIC OR GLASS CONTAINER, EVEN WITH WATER.

In the shade or on partially sunny days, they will still benefit though they will get significantly less UVB.