Page 1 of 2

rocks and tank set up

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:12 pm
by edgerton
is it a bad idea to get rocks from the creek near my house to put in the turtle tank?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:42 pm
by Boogerbutt02
I think that would be alright if you cleaned them really well...

But if the creek has had pesticides in it in the last 6 months or so then no...

Also, make sure the rocks are bigger then your turtles head so that he/she can not eat them...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:38 pm
by tinkerbell_pg
yea my dad got rocks from a creek close to our house annd he got them 3 years a go for his fish and then he got better rocks for his fish and gave them to me and he got the rocks from the creek by our house 3 to4 years a go and we washed them really good befor we put the rocks in the tank with them and my baby RES love them so yea u can use them but


just do what Boogerbutt02 said about the pesticides just in case i dont know i did not go get the rocks with my dad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:39 pm
by missibsu
Certain rocks can be baked in the oven to kill harmful bacteria etc. From what I understand you need to make sure that the rocks are completely dry. Sandstone can explode if baked when wet.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:57 pm
by tinkerbell_pg
yea my rocks that i got in my tank were out side for one year then i brot them in and put them in hot watter for 2 to3 days

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:32 am
by 713
how long and at what temp should they be baked?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:41 am
by tinkerbell_pg
im not shure i never baked them because mine were out in our shed for one year

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:55 am
by grey goose
Why risk it? Rocks are cheap....even at a pet or dollar store , how much could they cost?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:30 am
by Boston_Zhao
Boogerbutt02 wrote:I think that would be alright if you cleaned them really well...

But if the creek has had pesticides in it in the last 6 months or so then no...

Also, make sure the rocks are bigger then your turtles head so that he/she can not eat them...


Do they swallow gravel? I have gravels at the bottom of the tank, should I remove?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:11 am
by missibsu
Yes, they swallow gravel. Yes, you should remove it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:37 pm
by SpotsMama
I boiled some rocks rather than baked them. I think it's less likely to explode that way.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:01 pm
by Boogerbutt02
GRAVEL is BAD!!!! lol.... Turtles will eat ANYTHING you put in the tank... mine male turtle tries to eat his filter too...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:38 pm
by tinkerbell_pg
what that is funny that he trys to eat ur fliter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:56 pm
by Boston_Zhao
witout gravel, the tank looks really boring.......

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:17 pm
by CountryGirl68
Boston_Zhao wrote:witout gravel, the tank looks really boring.......


Not really. I have a 75g tank. I taped a black aquarium backing to the outside bottom of the tank. I added about 8 river rocks, 2 fake plants, one tall fake rock and 2 small plastic turtles (given to me by my mom). Then I put a rock aquarium backing on the back of the tank. It looks really nice without any gravel. In fact, it actually looks better than my fish tank and cleaner.