Page 1 of 1

How Do I Love Thee!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:11 am
by kikicool
I just have to share with the joy my turts have given me. I just got a second last week. Herman and Lily get along MARVELOUSLY. They are SO cute together. When one is sleeping/resting on the bottom of the tank, the other will come over and rest a foot on the first. Herman still gives Lily "jazz hands" over her face, which she seems to like. They eat fabulously together. Lily has become a different turtle! She basks more often, she isn't so scared of everything... you know? you can tell? She swims more, eats more...it's GREAT.

The cutest thing: I've heard RES's do a lot of "redecorating." Well, Herman is incredible. Every day I have to come in and re stick all of the plants, except one. I have to re-attach the thermometer. And funniest of all? He moves the plants to the same spot: under his basking spot. I think I will get more plants and put some there, too. AND he took TWO pellets from my hand!! (Score: Herman 2, Lily 0).

I love them so! Joy! Just had to share.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:11 pm
by marisa
Ah, the joy and wonderment of a new(?) turtle owner. It's always nice to hear (really). It would have been nice if the new turtle had been quarantined to help make sure s/he didn't have anything your turtle could catch. But, since they're already together, make sure they have adequate space (how big is their tank?) Those "jazz hands" may look cute, but if their tank is too small, it could lead to problems as they grow.

Enjoy your turtles. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:37 pm
by kikicool
hmm... hadn't thought of the quarantine thing. They both SEEM okay, but I'll keep an eye out for sure. Their tank is 55 gallons. They're both pretty little now. I'll certainly keep an eye out for any signs of trouble. Thanks!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:01 pm
by Boston_Zhao
I think they do need company

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:06 pm
by cam722
Boston_Zhao wrote:I think they do need company


You may think that but it's not the truth. Do you realize that turtles don't even "mother" their young? They lay the eggs and then the babies are on their own. They don't feed them or anything else. Turtles are solitary creatures. Yes they can cohabitate but they don't "NEED" company.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:37 am
by kikicool
I had heard that, too--that turts don't always get along. Well, I lucked out with these two. The second turll made life so muhc better for the first! Don't know why, but she's much happier and active, and eating more--and everything!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:29 am
by Boston_Zhao
mine too, they play together, chase each other, they have so much fun with each other, i simply dont see their being solitary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:45 am
by steve
Boston_Zhao, just because they get along fine now, it might only be temporary. I hope they always get a long but it doesn't always work out that way. Many people here have multiple turtles. The people who are starting out with hatchlings usually think they have no problems. But if you read some other posts, you will find that one usually gets bigger and bullies the smaller ones or eats more than its share. If there's a male, then he would harass females. If the area is too small, there will be more aggressive behavior. Plus some turtles are just hostile where ever they are.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:23 pm
by mybrosteve
I have 2 turtles who have lived together their whole lives, and they get along great, they often bask one on top of the other. It seems like its hit or miss with multiple turtles, i hope yours work out!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:35 am
by Muirner
mybrosteve, that avitar picture is freaking great. i love it... hahaha, you should post a larger one in the picture section