Page 1 of 2
Turtle Water.. Keepin' It Clean (Need Help!)

Posted:
Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:13 am
by pan1k
I've been getting really frustraded lately. I've bought 3 different filters and within a day or two the water is filthy. The filters are made by tetra, but I heard that fluval is recommended. I've got a 20 gallon tank and it's about 3/4 full.
Thanks!

Posted:
Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:13 am
by crock1120
Yea, fluval is better in my opinion... it works well for me. I also tried tetra for a while and it worked for the first month or two, but afterthat it was pretty much shot and forcing me to clean the tank every 3-4 days. Buy the fluval and see if it helps, it definitely should.

Posted:
Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:32 am
by industrial_girl_2000
How much are you feeding your turtle? Do you have any fish in in there? Plants? Do you feed in the tank or out of the tank? Are you using charcoal in your filters?
Sorry for all the questions, just trying to establish what the aquarium environment is like.

Posted:
Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:48 pm
by marisa
If you're thinking of getting an internal Fluval (like one of the Plus series) you might consider an Aquaclear for the size tank you have.
How big is your turtle? A 20-gallon tank ideally is for about a 2-inch turtle. If the tank is too small for your turtle, a filter will have a harder time keeping the water clean.

Posted:
Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:27 pm
by iac637
We use a Duetto 100 in our 20 gallon tank and it keeps the water crystal clear.

Posted:
Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:25 pm
by pan1k
industrial_girl_2000 wrote:How much are you feeding your turtle? Do you have any fish in in there? Plants? Do you feed in the tank or out of the tank? Are you using charcoal in your filters?
Sorry for all the questions, just trying to establish what the aquarium environment is like.
I feed my turtle a few tablespoons of pellets per day, about 2, no fish or plants, except when I feed her the feeder fish, I try to feed her outside of the tank as much as possible. I had the crappy filter it came with, it was charcoal based, but it died. I got her a reptofilter, but it still didnt work well. All I can afford is a 20 gallon tank at the moment, I got the turtle from someone who didnt want it, and had it in a 10 gallon tank (the turtle is about 4-5 inches). In a few months i'll be moving and more than likely able to afford a bigger tank, but the constant water changing is driving me nuts. I bought a Fluval 4+ on eBay and it will be here next tuesday, should I go with the carbon media for it?

Posted:
Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:34 pm
by marisa
"A few tablespoons of pellets per day"? Too much. Feed only as much as would fit inside of a hollow head (exclude the neck) every other day for a turtle the size of yours. Too much is unhealthy (and will cause more waste in the tank). Your turtle should be eating more plant matter, especially leafy greens. Look at the list for what's good to give.
The carbon media that's made for the 4+ isn't all that great and directions say to replace it weekly. The 4+ in a 20-gallon tank will take up a lot of room and is going to create a fair amount of turbulence.

Posted:
Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:47 pm
by myahs_mommy
Hello
I have 20g long and I use a Whisper i40, it hangs inside of the tank, i never had much luck with the fluval 2 plus i had. I also and feeding outside the tank now which helps with cleaning.
Hope this helps

Posted:
Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:09 pm
by kikicool
I had a fluval 3 plus in my 20 gallon and it was wonderful. In fact, I think I liked it better than the filter I have in my larger tank!!

Posted:
Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:01 pm
by Rickiew04
marisa wrote:"The carbon media that's made for the 4+ isn't all that great and directions say to replace it weekly.
Why isn't it all that great? Is there some other media that is better for the 4plus? Perhaps another brand of carbon filters?

Posted:
Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:20 pm
by marisa
It's a relatively thin pad that's impregnated with carbon, as opposed to having a pouch of carbon like canisters or even the Aquaclear has. This means it needs to be replaced fairly frequently. I think someone adds their own carbon in between the sponges/pads, but given the small space you're working with, I don't see how it could be very much.
I really think the 4+ will physically take up too much room in a 20-gallon.

Posted:
Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:05 pm
by pan1k
Ok Thanks for everyone's advice. I'm just looking for the best way to take care of it.. obviously whomever had my turtle before didn't care for it. I changed the water and fed her outside of the tank, 1 TEAspoon, not a TABLEspoon

Dang I messed up there. Didn't want to underfeed her! I'm going to the market in a few days and i'll get some veggies! She's so happy now swimming in her tank.. even though she's trying to eat the dock right now.. wonder why? I think she's mad, because I won't feed her more.. I hate it when she begs!
Thanks All!

Posted:
Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:08 pm
by Shelly & Finnys Mom
Once again, I learned something new. My female res is such a begger and I thought she was starving to death!! I have been feeding her way too much and that explains why the tank is so dirty so fast. Shelly is not going to like you guys for teaching me this!!!

Posted:
Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:39 pm
by megcornell
I have a fluval 4+ in a 35 gallon tank and it works great, but I really think it would be too much both in terms of creating a whirlpool effect and in how much room it would take away from your turtle's swimming space.

Posted:
Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:55 pm
by SpotsMama
If a RES is eating her dock it may be that she needs calcium. Does she have a cuttlebone to nibble on?