Habitat - Indoor :: My turtle hates his tank

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:34 am   My turtle hates his tank

He hates it. He's ok if he can't see me.
The reason I joined this page was because my little man is having a few issues. But the things I have been reading on here. Iam so confused. Partial water changes. Bacteria blooms? Water stinking amd not changing it. I change his water every two weeks clean the filter- just kinda rinse it and I had no idea I should be treating him like a fish. He spends most of his time out of his tank and walking round the house with us. In the summer I bring him outside everyday in the yard and he slides down the hill.then goes back up and slides back down. Then I bring him in and he goes in his tank for a swim and a nap then he comes out again. I usually only keep him in there in the winter. This year I had to get a different platform for basking and it took days for him to go on it. And now he is twitching and scratching at him self while basking. I did just replace all of his lights. I also treated him for a fungal infection. I thought that was why he was scratching. But it may or may not be shedding. He's getting old. I really care about him and it kinda breaks my heart to read I am doing all this wrong. He was doing fine until he started to twitch while basking. Well he won't bask anymore and he doesn't twitch...... but summer is a long way away. Doesn't he need the vitamins? I really don't know what to do. He's a special guy. He brings our family together, like most pets do. He really means the world to us
Hamish'smom

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:04 am   Re: My turtle hates his tank

Hi ! That you for having feeling towards you turtle he/she will be just like your child. Calm down everything you say is normal for a beginner. 1) Always hiding ok , offer him several spots to do it will make him feel safer and comfortable in his glass home. It's instinct , look for one in the park lagoon they never let you get within 30 yards of them even in middle of a lake. They didn't survive for tens of thousands of year's out in the wide open. 2) turtle if slider are very hardy Not with the needs of a fish they breath like us. 3) the hill , turtles like to be high to feel safe he just slides down and they are "very" determined to get back high , ever see them piled up on each other in photo's. 4) Need photo's but sounds like he's growing and is skin shedding. 5) photo again for fungal ? 6) Age , turtle in captivity can get 40-50 years old when well taken of , this is long term ! 7) Vitamins , supplements really not need they are like us unless a problem , like us a good well varied balanced and nutritious diet goes a very long way.

Top of this page is a header , open each and all the links , read up and we will be here for help.
Be careful letting him run around the house they are like kids getting into things fast. Also if you spray your home as most do the chemicals used can be dangerous to him.
Outside watch for predator's to a turtle , neighbors dogs large birds things happen fast ! They are just like kids test everything things with there mouths , be careful. Electrical cord , may look like a worm to them. Also turtles are faster than you think and can dig and hide very well , watch every minute ! 8) sounds like you will be a good parent to your new kid , all has answers to your concerns ! Lots to learn , a turtle has more needs than some pets , it's up to you to do your part and you already started , welcome to the forum. It get's easy when your think like a turtle and observing is a key to this hobby.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:38 pm   Re: My turtle hates his tank

I have had him for six years. Iam not new to this. He has never liked the tank. I always thought it was because his other owners didn't change his water much. When we took him on we knew he was a long term pet. I read a bunch of stuff on this site actually that helped me to care for him. Like water temp, tank size, what lights, food-which he is very picky he won't eat greens. I have to trick him, lol. I don't use chemical stuff in my home I use vinegar to clean with. I make all my own home products away from kids and pets. My daughter lost the magnets from his floating island is I bought a cheap bigger floating platform. I had to do some modifications on it but it seems to work. thank you for your advice. I have been reading and reading on here. Before I posted I wanted to make sure I wasn't asking the same thing if I could easily find it.
I am more confused now. I'll continue reading.
Hamish'smom

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:58 pm   Re: My turtle hates his tank

Why don't you post pics of your setup? I think, if he likes coming out of the tank a lot, and you take him out all the time, then he's probably going to always act like he wants to get out anytime you are near the tank. Is that what you mean when you say he hates it? My guy twitches and rubs himself with his front leg sometimes when basking, but not excessively. I never worried about it.
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:48 am   Re: My turtle hates his tank

Hamish's mom, trying to help here , being only your third post with only information given in them , need more info. Glad you in this hobby six years and yes can be confusing. Myself only on this forum a short while but I do have over five decades in hobby that may help , it's about the turtle to me. I am offering advise and looking for more answers to find a way to help better , no one is forming any conclusions here don't take it wrongly or personal. We /I need the most information to offer the best advice. My first words in my first reply are thank you for caring about your turtle. As Kingbird suggest post some pictures may help to see more from a turtles point of view.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:56 pm   Re: My turtle hates his tank

Sorry I just joined this forum but maybe I could help. My RES is 39 year old and she is still going strong. I did have a worry at one point where she was very restless going up on her stand and getting right off and not eating. I did some research and figured out she needed a bigger stand at least 2 to 3 inches bigger then her because she had a build up of calcium and needed to lay eggs to release it. So I got a bigger platform for her to bask on from Amazon and she started laying eggs. Now she is comfortable. Yes the kicking and scratching is normal nothing to worry about but your turtle may need a ruff rock or two to help scratch the old scales off. I hope I have helped or can maybe help you in the future...
Michaelangela

Return to Habitat - Indoor