Page 1 of 1

Basking lamp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:39 am
by meandmyturtles
I have 2 res both babies, I was wondering what size basking lamp and which brand and style would be best for them, they usually bask on thier floating log

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:32 am
by urbancleopatra
That really all depends on your setup. I have my two babies in a large rubermaid container with the water line about 4 inches from the top. I then attached two home depot 8 inch halogen clamp lamps (shown in website below) to the side of the container and pointed them both at the basking dock which is about a foot from the heat lamp and maybe sixteen inches from the uvb bulb. If you are able to use the same sort of setup than there's a suggestion.

ps- don't forget their uvb bulb. if you can use the halogen lamp setup than i suggest a reptisun 5.0. it has the same dimensions as a regular household bulb only looks like a curlyque because it's a long tube swirled around itself.

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/71500/71597otVS_w.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:36 am
by meandmyturtles
thanks mine are in a 40 gallon tank, I have light and the basking light I was just wondering if the basking light was bright enough or hot enough

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:56 am
by meandmyturtles
a reptisun 5.0? I just came back from the local petstore and they didn't have any, any other suggetions?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:19 pm
by steve
For a UVB light, I would order it online. You can find a better price online, and sometimes Petco or Petsmart will match their own prices. The Reptisun and Repti-Glo are probably the most popular choices.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:21 pm
by meandmyturtles
thank you, do you know of a good reputable site?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:27 pm
by meandmyturtles
if someone could give me the info on exactly what kind of uvb light would be best for 2 babies in a 40 gallon , that bask mainly on thier floating log I would be greatful so I can order when I get in from work tonight

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:36 pm
by Safdar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:23 pm
by meandmyturtles
thank you

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:52 am
by industrial_girl_2000
You can also go to www.petco.com, www.petsmart.com, and if you do a search for Dr. foster & smith online, they have a great website as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:59 pm
by Safdar
meandmyturtles that was just an example

You can get it if you want, but there are many other deals out there like kristen said. Shop around if you want the best price

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:12 pm
by industrial_girl_2000
Yup, shopping around is awesome. I have saved a lot of money by buying my lamps/bulbs online. When I bought my MVB bulb online (100W Powersun UV...strong uva/uvb lamp made for tanks larger than 75 gallons), I saved over $10....and that was AFTER shipping & handling costs were added in. AND I never had to leave my house to get this bulb!

UVB bulbs are expensive, but worth it in the long run since your turtle will be much healthier. Buying online makes caring for your turtle much easier!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:41 pm
by DavidY
AND with all that money saved you can buy more stuff for your turtles!! :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:37 am
by industrial_girl_2000
DavidY wrote:AND with all that money saved you can buy more stuff for your turtles!! :D


Exactly! :)