Page 1 of 1

Gravel cleaner/syphon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:49 am
by kaimarion
Well this is one stupid question but how do I use a Gravel cleaner /syphon????
I tryed moving it up and down but barely any water went into the bucket!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:56 am
by Tenodera
You gotta shake it really fast. Lol I had trouble with mine, too. Does you have a flow adjuster?

Just try fiddling with it for a couple of minutes. You'll get it soon.:D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:05 am
by Tattoo
when you shake it up and down you should feel something heavy inside the handle moving up in down. It acts as a pump and when it pushes all the air out of the tube you water should flow with no problems. just remember to pull the hanle out of the water when bucket gets close to being full. you don't want a mess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:10 am
by kaimarion
Thanx for the help , I had to use a measuring jug yesterday it took forever.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:13 am
by DavidY
You can also put the whole thing in the tank (hose and all) and let it fill with water. Then keep the vacuum part under water, put your thumb over the open end that goes it the bucket, then pull that end out (keep your thumb over it) and lower it down to the bucket. Once the end of the hose is below the water line outside the tank and over/in the bucket, you can remove your thumb and and the siphon will begin to flow on its own.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:22 am
by untsmurf
What an idea!! Why don't they put that in the instructions?! I feel like an idiot.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:59 pm
by kermitzaqd
I think some siphons work better than others. I had one that always had suction, but one that I always had to put completely in the water, like David suggested.

Now I have the kind that attaches to a faucet, so no more moving buckets of water for me :-D Once you get a big tank, it's SOOOOOO worth it.