Page 1 of 1

does this really work so you dont have to use a uvb light?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:18 pm
by ashleygamergirl
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... h&keepsr=1

has anyone used this stuff? or anything like it?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:21 pm
by Vtolds
It is half the price of a Compact UVB bulb so I dont think it would be worth it even if it did work.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:28 pm
by ashleygamergirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:00 am
by erinemcgreevy
As far as the solar drops go it does sound too good to be true. I doubt it would hurt but I wouldn't get rid of the uvb. This definitely sounds like a question for the vet. As for the bulb I don't feel that the wattage is high enough. I had a 100 watt mvb (it just broke so I'm using the old tube light) and it did not make the basking area warm enough, only around 85 degrees. I would definitely stick to a 100 watt or if your home is cold like mine a 160 watt.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:49 am
by SpotsMama
Most turtle keepers on here will say that drops (vitamin D3 supplements) are not a substitute for good UVB light. UVB light causes the turtle's body to manufacturer good vitamin D and, while the short term results of using a vitamin supplement like vitamin D drops might be ok, we don't really know what else a turtle would be missing by not basking under UVB light. From personal experience, I strongly suspect UVB light helps control shell infections, but that's just my opinion.

A turtle lives a long time - 40+ years if kept healthy. I think it's important to be conservative in the setup because we're trying to provide for such a long life and we don't always know the long term ramifications of non-standard choices. It's like with people and nuitrition. We might do ok for quite a while on a diet of junk food but over a long life we've learned that poor nuitrition will hurt us even thought the bad effects don't show up for years.

It's the same with UVB light bulbs. Some bulbs have been proved to be effective and I'd stick with those. I wouldn't go for the cheapest or the newest because we know there are some bulbs out there that aren't good.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:20 pm
by mikee
Mama-mod is correct. What you get from uvb light is good carapace health. It helps control any infection that may be trying to get a foot hold under and around the scutes. I am sure there is a chemical the will give a human a sun tan, but I conclude, it "ain't" the same. It has been my experience that the uvb is a necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:03 pm
by ashleygamergirl
i had 100w on and it got to hot i think because how close i have to keep the light so thats why i was going to try 60w.... the light itself is about 6 inches from the basking area

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:03 pm
by marisa
These Solar Drops have been in question for a while now (elsewhere) and the general consensus has been to avoid them. Vitamin D can be toxic if overdone, and it can be difficult to determine an accurate dosage. Vitamin D is more efficiently absorbed through the shell. It is better to buy a reliable brand of UVB light that has been tested and proven to be effective.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:08 pm
by ashleygamergirl
i didnt plan on useing them but i found it and wanted to know if anyone has used them before. i have uvb and uvb lights on them now but like i said my 100w gets to hot so i was going to try that 60w to see what happens.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:15 pm
by marisa
If you're not using a MVB, a regular UVB light doesn't give off any appreciable heat. Changing the heat light to a 60-watt shouldn't be a problem.