Habitat - Indoor :: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:29 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks nice, give me an AT-AT vibe :) What material is the ramp made of?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:58 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I trimmed an all weather mat to fit and laid it over egg crate. Used zip ties to hold it in place.

The kids still aren't using it. I think they'll need a couple of days to get used to it. I built a second basking station for the other end of the tank.
Longhorn

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:29 am   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If thats like a floor mat, then you will want to switch to something else as it will leach some strong chemicals into the water. A hard plastic shelf liner (like the ones from IKEA) might be better, or some fake terrarium grass that's made to be in water are some options. If you want to entice them more, move the heat lamp closer to the ramp and let it draw them in. Once they get used to it, you can move it back to it's original spot.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:38 am   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's more like a carpet with a rubberized backing. I'll keep an eye on things and yank it at the first sign of something not right.

(edit) On second thought, I decided to err on the side of caution & removed the carpet. They have plain egg crate with a ceramic tile on top of each stand.

They seem to be less nervous about it this morning as they were coming on to the ramp to beg for breakfast. I'll see if they begin using the tile for basking today
Last edited by Longhorn on Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorn

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:11 am   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Photos now (sorry they're sideways. That's how they upload from the phone):
Attachments
24744913-C635-4BAB-B2C4-BB81D4930F89.jpeg
AF38A73E-A47F-4383-B0C2-6D29AF2A24D3.jpeg
Longhorn

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:21 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Food is their ultimate motivator! Eggcrate alone should work fine. Looks nice and should be cleaner that way. As for the pics, I think the camera rotates it on the phone, so when it's uploaded that information is removed and its shown in its original orientation.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:04 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, it's the PowerSun. Basking area is 83 and he spends a lot of time there. Water temp is around 68 though every thermometer I've used gives something different - I just ordered new ones that stick on the tank.
LizzieF

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:01 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ones that stick-on are usually pretty good. They've been consistent with my infrared temp gun readings.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat May 22, 2021 11:20 am   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello,
New to this forum. We have two turtles, Michelangelo and Donatella. We made an over tank basking area that came out real nice, end of last year. Have made some modifications along the way. I am not sure how to post pictures though? Would love to post some.
luque37

Post Posted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:18 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi luque, to post links from an external site, check this post: viewtopic.php?t=1811

If you have smaller pics, you can click on "full editor" and select a photo from your web browser.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:48 am   Re:

RESnTX wrote:Mine is made out of cork bark. I found a piece large enough and cut it to the width of the tank so I could wedge it in place.

What is cork bark?
Turd

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:24 am   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The bark from a cork tree, like the kind they use for wine bottles. It's environmentally friendly since the trees are not cut down. It's good for the turtle since it's natural and will not rot.

Cork bark is popular with hobbyists and those making flower arrangements.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:36 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Steve. Where to buy. Need 18" long 11" wide flat piece and will need a ramp as well.
Turd

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:45 am   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You angle the cork so it acts as a ramp. Larger pieces also have a slight curve to them. 11x18 it quite large, you might want to check with florists or on ebay. Since each piece is different, they should post pics of what they have.
steve
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor