Page 1 of 1

Don't Do Blue 8|

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:02 pm
by crackerlady2007
Ok, so you all know I just got a new 110 gallon tank and that I need a much larger basking spot for Mr. & Mrs. Turtle. Well, I went to work and made what I thought was a most marvelous contraption. It consisted of PVC pipes, mini legos, silicone, and a blue bin used for ferrets that my boss bought for it. I made a stand out of the PVC pipes, used silicone to glue the legos together, and drilled drain holes in the bin which I glued on top of the PVC stand. Sounds neat, right? Mr. & Mrs Turtle would absolutely NOT have it. I'd put them in it, because they wouldn't climb in by themselves, and they'd skedaddle out of there as fast as there little legs could carry them! I remember reading somewhere that some peoples turtles react to blues and reds. They didn't like it one little bit, so after they wouldn't bask for a few days, I gave up and gave them back there little ZooMed. Mr. Turtle was on it within 10 minutes. :roll: Anyway, so I just ordered a size Large ZooMed off eBay and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. :D

Here's a link to the other post about the new tank, for those who are new to my excitement. :)

http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17679&highlight=

So, the moral of the story is, Red Eared Sliders, do NOT like blue. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:07 pm
by xfueledbykatie
lol i always put my turtles in a blue kiddy pool...
i wonder if that's why theyf reak out so bad whe i put then in it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:28 pm
by Raphulk
i dont think its the color that was the problem (i could be wrong), i dont think there really is a problem at all.

if you like the new basking area that you made, you should give your turtles ALOT more time. generously in fact. it takes turtles a good time period to adjust to new surroundings.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:28 pm
by crackerlady2007
I don't know. I'm probably just too worrisome. :) I had one turtle who got some serious shell rot, so I didn't want to risk anything like that again. It actually looked pretty Mickey Mouse, so I'd just a soon use a ZooMed 'til they don't fit it anymore. Besides, I had a coupon from eBay for up to $29.08, and it cost like $28.99, so I basically got it for free. :P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:40 pm
by Turtlebiz
i think they just needed more time to adjust to it. i have an ATBA made of egg crate and a sterilite container. the container is a light blue color, but you can see through it. my turtle took to it very quickly, probably in a day or so, and he's never had a problem with it. i would say try it again if you like and just give them more time.