Page 1 of 1

Spending again

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:54 am
by chrisinva
Because I was without a UVB bulb I went ahead and bought this for my TEMP 10 gallon tank
Image

I also got this bulb

Image

The max wattage for bulbs in this fixture is 26W so my clamp style basking lamp bulb won't go in...They do make a 26W basking lamp..

I guess my question here is will this be ok to replace my clamp basking lamp and provide the needed UVB?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:44 pm
by sanoske312
Hey My max wattage for my fixture is 26w also and was a pain to find a basking light for it so i tested it with a 40w sunglo and it works perfect alittle melting but nothing to be worried about i have it on 12 hrs a day and besides the one melt it hasnt affected the hood

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:43 pm
by chrisinva
sanoske312 wrote:Hey My max wattage for my fixture is 26w also and was a pain to find a basking light for it so i tested it with a 40w sunglo and it works perfect alittle melting but nothing to be worried about i have it on 12 hrs a day and besides the one melt it hasnt affected the hood

I found one at Petsmart...I was just hoping it will be warm enough

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:42 pm
by untsmurf
You should be able to use a regular house bulb as the UVA supplier.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:55 pm
by chrisinva
untsmurf wrote:You should be able to use a regular house bulb as the UVA supplier.

:shock: So i can use the hood above....with the Reptiglow UVB shown above in one side....and a regular household bulb for UVA and heat for basking???

That seems almost too simple :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:46 pm
by Squishy
Not if the fixture is only rated for 26 W. You could rewire one side with heavier gauge wire and a better socket.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:49 pm
by chrisinva
Squishy wrote:Not if the fixture is only rated for 26 W. You could rewire one side with heavier gauge wire and a better socket.

i think I'm gonna take the hood back and get another clamp lamp for the UVB bulb and set it on top of the screen I have on top of the tank

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:32 pm
by Chrisbarnett
good idea. It'll be cheaper.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:56 am
by Raphulk
man youre fortunate you realized the hood wasnt as good before it was too late.

i unfortunately have bought many things for my turtle out of plain excitement.
my turtle immaturity at work hah.

i bought my first UVB and hood lamp at a local reptile place that made all sales final -_-

lame-o

at least i was able to make it work out, just alittle more thought and elbow grease

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:20 pm
by chrisinva
I do want everyone to realize that the babies have been outside everyday for real sunlight...Sometimes more than once a day...I amon the way to get them the right UVB bulb..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:18 pm
by chrisinva
UVB finally It looks like duke but it works

Image

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:19 pm
by Raphulk
aside a 10 gallon being so small, the one thing i hate with having my smallest turtle in there (hes being separated for aggression from the other turtle) is that to somewhat properly take care of him you need ALL that stuff which makes the small tank look so crowded.

thar decoration you hve in front of your filter, doesnt that block the intake?