Page 1 of 1

Filter on a timer.. good or bad idea?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:41 pm
by turn2dust
Has anyone placed their filters on a timer?

Is this a good idea or bad idea?

Can the filter handle the on and off once or twice a day?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:45 pm
by Sassamo
I would say no, the filter should be on 24hours a day, since turtles spend most of night time in the water I am sure they make more waste during the night then day time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:48 pm
by Chrisbarnett
Bad idea. Biological bacteria will die if your filter goes off for more than a few hourse. They need a constant food source and oxygen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:49 pm
by Kemul
I think it's best if the filter runs 24 / 7 / 365, excepting the occasional cleansing.

If the pump is using propeler, it might get stuck. If you can't check it often, you
might get no filtration for a long period.

Also, bad chemicals can build up when the filter is turned off.

In my opinion, it's a bad idea.