Page 1 of 1

Does anyone know of a quiet light source?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:40 pm
by fadesta
I have an 80g tank the light uses 2 - 24'' tubes, but they make a humming sound, it's getting really annoying. I have a Whisper filter running, but what's the use in that.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:45 pm
by papoopeepoo
Incandescent bulbs are practically silent, but they produce very concentrated light, and the light is usually a different tone than flourescent tubes. Additionally, Metal Halide will probably make more noise considering it's use of a ballast.

How old are your lighting fixtures? Possibly the ballast is starting to fail and is making more noise?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:03 pm
by trudykurz
Sounds like the bulbs are starting to go. I use tubes on my fish tank and that's the sound I hear when they are getting ready to die.