Page 1 of 1

how far can the canister filter be?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:58 am
by Turtlefriend
Heres a picture of my current tank setup, 40 gallons and a fluval 4+.

[IMG]http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww203/zbunchkin/DSC02120.jpg[/IMG]

I want to get a fluval 404 and have either the output and input in the back right corner and front left corner. I also would like the canister itself to be where the plasitc bins are in the pic. Would that be too far and slow down the flow rate too much or is that fine?

Also, if I were to get a bigger tank (hopefully sometime soon), and it went all the way across the stand (6 ft), how would I do the hose setup? Would I just have to have the hoses in the front with the canister on the ground in the middle?

edit: cant quite get the picture to work

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:19 pm
by BullDog
The 404 should be OK on the floor where the bins are. Canister filters are meant to go below the tank, so that won't affect it. Hose length with effect it. I think you'll want the intake hose as short as possible, so if you can, you would want to put the intake closest to the canister.

If you're thinking a 6 foot tank, you'll probably want a second filter anyhow, so perhaps you could do one filter on each side? I'm not too sure how you could work it.